Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Connection Speeds

Hey all.

I've been having a problem with my internet recently. It is an interesting thing relating to the speed. I'll be surfing websites, they'll load fast, all of a sudden, I'll click a link and it will just sit there loading. I'll check IRC, MSN and my downloads and they'll be at the regular speed, but the websites won't load. I end up having to wait 5-10 minutes, then hitting "Refresh" and then they load.

Changed NICs, still happening. This is a cable modem, so I was curious if it's at all possible that the cable line going to the modem has a problem or if this is related to the operating system or not.

I am using Windows XP SP2 with latest Internet Explorer.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

More than probably you have a signal problem. Your signal is most likely border line, but at peak times it drops below that so that you start to lose packets. You can go here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test out your speed. Try it at different times of the day. This will tell you when your signal is dropping.

You can try all of the tricks that you can find through Googling for increasing the throughput from the modem to your computer, and they may change things, but if the signal is marginal, it will do little.

You can call your provider's help line. They will probably take your through a ping operation and then watch the response of your modem to see the packet loss. The problem is that your loss is intermittant and will not always show up.

Don't be fooled by the fact that when you go to your "regular" sites that they come up quickly. Your browser is most probably reading the cache on your machine and. therefore. has fewer packets to drop. Anyway, what can you do apart from calling your provider and having them come out and test your signal strength? What you may need is a drop amplifier. It will increase the signal strength, but, unfortunately, it will also increase the noise. However, it may keep your signal at a level that your modem will stay connected signal-wise to the cable servers. The Electroline EDA 2100 is a pretty good unit. It needs an electrical outlet since it is an amplifier. It is installed where the cable comes into the house. Depending on whether you have cable TV, cable companies make the connections in different ways. Generally, most will split the signal with a splitter and one wire is used for TV reception; the other for the modem. You will want to install the drop amplifier in front of the splitter to amp the signal. If your TV in the VHF range of channels has herring bones in the signal, you can reduce the signal amplification by using an attenuator to dial it down and install it in front of the TV set.

If you do not want to go to that trouble, you should at least, find the connections and using a simple pencil eraser "clean" the connections for better contact. You might think about replacing a splitter if you think that the other is dampening the signal. Splitters will normally drop the signal down anyway. Bypassing it and hooking the cable directly to the modem (you will need a male-male connector) and letting your modem receive the signal without the drop in signal because of the splitter will also indicate that you have a signal problem. Doing this means that you will have to forego the TV connection temporarily for the test. If the modem has less of a problem connecting to links, you will know that you have a signal problem.

Originally posted by jdulmage:

Quote:
Hey all.

I've been having a problem with my internet recently. It is an interesting thing relating to the speed. I'll be surfing websites, they'll load fast, all of a sudden, I'll click a link and it will just sit there loading. I'll check IRC, MSN and my downloads and they'll be at the regular speed, but the websites won't load. I end up having to wait 5-10 minutes, then hitting "Refresh" and then they load.

Changed NICs, still happening. This is a cable modem, so I was curious if it's at all possible that the cable line going to the modem has a problem or if this is related to the operating system or not.

I am using Windows XP SP2 with latest Internet Explorer.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

I had a similar problem when I lived in an older home, so Rogers ran me a direct connection for my internet cable, problem solved. Older homes use RG-59/U cable, cool for cable TV, sorta, but old school.

The house I live in now is 4 years old, has RG-6/UQ, makes no diff is you split the internet with the cable TV, the RG-6 can handle that no problem. The Q on the end means the cable is "quad" sheilded against interference, and so far, I have no complaints at all.

smile

Also, go to your Control Panel, then dbbl-click Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Properties, and make sure that under the "General" tab, you only have the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" box checked. Do you need or use the "Client For Microsoft Networks"? If you don't know what it is, uncheck it, you're not using it. Same with printer and file sharing for MSN, if you're not using it, or don't know what it is, un-check the box.

Most importantly, un-check the "QoS Packet Scheduler", that reserves 20% of your bandwidth for Windoze, and it doesn't need it, it's just a huge waste of bandwidth.

Yeah, I already did everything on the computer side to fix the problem, sounds like a connection issue. I'll try a few other things, then I'll give the ISP a call. (I hate dealing with them, so try and fix it myself)

Thanks

As Relic indicated an old cable wire or one that has been compromised by the rigors of time will increase impedence or can short out intermittently and it may be the problem. Also, the distance of your connection to the pole is another factor. And, finally, the greater number of users on your trunk line can also have an effect. Normally, your ISP bunch will measure the strength of the signal at the pole and then take another measurement as it enters your house/office. This should indicate how severe the loss is and whether they 1) need to replace the line or 2) adjust the signal at the pole to compensate for the loss in the line. If the line signal is fine, then it comes down to replacing the modem.

I have used drop amplifiers to correct low signal loss. Cable companies use them also just so that they don't have to replace a cable line. It is an interim solution especially if the line is going bad. But, drop amplifiers are inexpensive. If there is nothing the matter with your line and it is that your connection is too far from the pole, drop amplifiers should fix the problem.