Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Da_G

TNT Lockups

First, my system stats.

Abit BP6 (QQ-2 BIOS, fresh install w/ACPI)

366x2 @ 539MHz (98MHz bus)

384MB PC-133 SDRAM

Diamond V770 @ 185/160

Adaptec AHA-2930CU SCSI Adapter

Sony Spressa 140S CD-RW (8x4x32x)

FUNAI 8x CD-ROM

Western Digital AC26400B (6.4gb) UDMA33 C:

Samsung WU33205A (3.2gb) UDMA33 D:

MS Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

Generic 33.6 ISA Modem

Linksys LNE100TX 10/100 Eth Adapter

Creative SB PCI 128

Epson Stylus 900 Printer (USB)

Based on a post a read on http://www.bp6.com I tried clocking my CPU's back down to 366 and it didnt freeze at all switching resolutions where it would freeze 75% of the time beforehand... anyone expierience similar results? (not freezing at a lower clock speed) The post follows...

---------

I've seen/heard and experienced first hand a lot of problem regarding w2k and Nvidia reference drivers. I found most of troubles/crashes are related to change screen resolution, but NOT during the game play itself.

After I set my dual 366 back to default 366, guess what, no more crashes during resolution change, not a single one. Returning to 528mhz, the intermitent hanges are back.

This got me thinking: obvisouly this can NOT be a problem relating to overclocking instability, because my 528@1.9 is so rock stable that I've never experienced 1 single crash during prime95 in many months. Plus the fact that I don't think there would be many intensive cpu instructions during a simple resolution change that lasts only a fraction of a second. The most likely reason is probably what's similar to k6-2 and win95A where certain loops are so short that it causes division-by-zero crash on high-speed cpus.

To verify my hypothesis, I wonder if anyone has tried Nvidia w2k drivers on a NON-overclocked 500mhz+ cpu and experinced the same crashes when switching screen resolutions?

---------

The URL for the thread is: http://bp6.hypermart.net/discus/messages/3162/3241.html?TuesdayFebruary2920000651am

------------------

-Da_G

I have a dual celeron 500 machine (not overclocked) on a Tyan Thunder 100 board, and I get a fair number of freezes when changing from my normal desktop res (1600x1200) to q3 (1024x768) with a geforce.

Actually, overclocking could be the cause. Windows NT is known to be a lot more fussy about things like overclocking. What you get away with under 98 might not work with NT. Then again it could be a driver issue. To eliminate this you need to either test your card on a friend's machine, or test a friend's card (different type) on your machine and see if you can duplicate the problem.