Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bchilly

Virus Help!

Ok right this really wierd thing happened to my other pc. The pc has no internet connection and i dont transfer downloaded files from this pc to it. But after logging on yesterday AVG came up with a virus warning in the AVG folder (some dll file) so i thought i'll just run AVG and it will be cleared up.I then got continuous messages saying all these programs were infected ect ect. I tried installing norton antivirus but i am unable to install/uninstall anything and all the shortcuts in the control no longer exist! i dont reall want to reinstall windows please help!

I have a serious problem. I keep getting this pop-up that states: SpySubtract unable to connect to privacy threat database: PHASE=-2 error=0x00000004,error#;0x80040439. Can someone please let me know what the heck this means? Also what I need to do to fix it?

Originally posted by Chriselectric:

Quote:
I have a serious problem. I keep getting this pop-up that states: SpySubtract unable to connect to privacy threat database: PHASE=-2 error=0x00000004,error#;0x80040439. Can someone please let me know what the heck this means? Also what I need to do to fix it?

Dude, you need some serious anti spy-ware/virus help.

Restart in safe mode, hold the "F8" key down when you bootup, then choose "Safe Mode With Networking".

Then go here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and scan your system with "Housecall", a free online AVP scan. Once you're done with that, head over here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html and dwnld Spybot, then scan your system.

If you don't already have an AVP(anti-virus program) let me know, I'll post a link to a few very good free programs, you need an AVP in this day and age, and an anti-spyware program. smile

um yh its very good u can help tht other guy, but this is the section for my problem!

Hi bchilly,

AVG is an ok program but it only nails real viruses about 50% of the time according to the AVP test sites.

To borrow from Relic here, go to: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and scan your system with "Housecall", a free online AVP scan.

Just remember the old saying when it comes to free programs, you get what you pay for.

You would be better off buying a well known program.

Good luck

Originally posted by bchilly:

Quote:
um yh its very good u can help tht other guy, but this is the section for my problem!

Sorry bchilly, I mistook his post as a second one by you. shocked

Obviously, you're transfering files to that PC, otherwise, there is absolutely no way for it to get a virus. You may not have it hooked to the internet, but you could be transfering a virus off a CD, a floppy, whatever.

How do you update your AVG if you're not connected to the internet?

If you want a good AVP, you're going to have to spend some money. For free ones, head over here: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=29&sort=7

Look for a program that is freeware, then google some reviews for it. I don't use a freeware AVP, so I can't recommend one.

Also know that you can't run two AVP's at the same time, big problems will occur, that's not a good thing. What version of Windoze are you running; '98/2000/XP Pro/Home?

well i have been transferring files via a flash drive. the last file i transfered was about 2 months ago now. my AVG has viruses within it and i am unable to install/uninstall it because the virus changes the files security so it cannot be accessed. i am runnin xp home sp2

Quote:
well i have been transferring files via a flash drive. the last file i transfered was about 2 months ago now. my AVG has viruses within it and i am unable to install/uninstall it because the virus changes the files security so it cannot be accessed. i am runnin xp home sp2

So, you have "this" system connected to the internet. How about taking your "infested" HDD, slapping it into your clean HDD's system, making it a slave drive, then cleaning it with TrendMicro?

If you boot up in "Safe Mode With Networking", you be able to access the internet, then go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and scan your system for viruses. When you're done, scan for spyware, also free.

I'd also scan that flashdrive, what did you dwnld? Do you have an AVP that checks dwnlds? Nothing is free, there is no "FREE" dwnld, when it comes to ripping something off.

If it's not "Freeware", it's not free. x)

ok then i've added it to this system and again it is coming up with virus warnings ect, ect. Trend micro picks up the viruses but wont remove em is this normal?

Hey thanks for all your help relic. My HD is now free from viruses and i managed to keep most of my programs! Cheers!

Quote:
Hey thanks for all your help relic. My HD is now free from viruses and i managed to keep most of my programs! Cheers!

Very good to read, happy to see you didna lose everything. smile

Now, I have to take a step back, seems that maybe you're better off with a free AVP, this one is getting very good reviews, dwnld it here: http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html

I'm gonna scoop this myself, my CA eTrust is causing me grief. Seems that AVP's that cost money cause problems, go figure. ;(

Anyhow, glad I could help, tis what these forums are all about. smile

With just a wee bit of education(net and file wise), and a half decent firewall, you don't have to worry about viruses. I run a Lynksys router, totally stealthed(very simple to do with port forwarding to cyberspace) and I check all dwnlds before opening.

Every single AVP that I have payed for has caused me grief, the free ones haven't.

That's my own personal experience. smile