Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clarence35

PacBell DSL Modem

I have been using Windows 2000 Build 2195 for a few months now (without dual boot), and I just ordered PacBell DSL. I want to know if anyone who has PacBell DSL can get their modem to work with win2k (basically will i have to re-install win98). Thanks.

I have pacbell dsl, they should give you an external acatel modem so you should be able to use it with any nic that works with win2k, in my case I got a 'free' kingston 10/100 that comes with nt drivers and works fine in 2k.

#?!@$%!@%!#$%!# PAC BELL and their !@#!@# for brains employee's!!!!

The new Dynamic IP !@#!@#!@ software will not work in 2000, barely works in nt, is a stupid idea to begin with, and forces you to use a microsoft product.....

better fork out the extra 40 for static ip's...

Quote:
Originally posted by clarence35:

I have been using Windows 2000 Build 2195 for a few months now (without dual boot), and I just ordered PacBell DSL. I want to know if anyone who has PacBell DSL can get their modem to work with win2k (basically will i have to re-install win98). Thanks.

Uhhh they give you a network card for the modem, hence no dynamic IP. Did you expect pacbell software to work, at all? Better get back on the short yellow school bus.

Actually, Pacbell really does give out dynamic IPs now. It's their policy. They're using PPPoE (point to point protocol over ethernet) and it makes users authenticate their username and password, just like a dialup, except over a NIC and a DSL modem. Nice, huh? Not! I miss my static IP. Anyway, check out PBI's support page and it has new software (version 1.3) that'll support Win2k (not officially, but it works). Also, check out this site:

"http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cable_dsl.htm#PPPoE"

It has really good info on DSL and Win2k, including someone's home-brewed PPPoE software that works great!

this may help or not.

im using adsl service(not PB..im in outside of US) with alcatel speedtouch pro(external). sure my isp uses PPPoE.

iVasion WinPoET 2.0 & NTS EnterNet 1.3 both works well. WinPoET is better cuz it can adjust some tcp-ip settings in registry(ex>MTU), easy dial-up networking setup, etc etc...

well, when i move into new apartment sometime in next couple months i gonna be sol with cable since local cable company is not in that complex. the complex is wired for direct TV which i think sucks so i gonna have to try and get DSL and i hate the idea od dynamic IP. would rather pay extra $40 for the static IP...assuming dsl is offered in area where apartments are. argh

Quote:
Originally posted by [lain]:

this may help or not.

im using adsl service(not PB..im in outside of US) with alcatel speedtouch pro(external). sure my isp uses PPPoE.

iVasion WinPoET 2.0 & NTS EnterNet 1.3 both works well. WinPoET is better cuz it can adjust some tcp-ip settings in registry(ex>MTU), easy dial-up networking setup, etc etc...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the PacBell techs hate PPPoE just as much as the users. I would guess it is going to be a short lived fad, or Microsoft will build PPPoE support into 2K, which would make life easy.

As mentioned already, the Enhanced plan ($79/mo) does not use PPPoE. Another suggestion would be to look for a different provider, like Covad, or Rhythms. Check: www.dslreports.com for more information.