Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ClockE

A simple request (56k Modems and FC4)

I don't know whether to put this under Networking or not, but I generally don't know. So, since you can't really create a network between computer siwth a 56k, here it is.

All I need to know is an existance of a 56k modem that can work risk free with Fedora without any tribulations or pain.

So far, I've tried three different things, but Fedora never detected them. I tried the limodem approach, but I got lost in the words, and utterly confused.

So please tell me there is a such thing as a 56k modem for Fedora 4 that works out of the box, and if you can tell me where it is, please tell me where I can find it.

Ahh..just another winmodem problem?

I have not used modems for a while, but the solution is there.

The simple solution? Buy an external serial modem and save a lot of headaches.

Make sure that the modem is not a controllerless modem. in other words, a true hardware modem. Ask a sales rep. at any good computer store. If he/she is knowledgable, he/she should know. If you buy it there, you can always return it if they were wrong.

DapperDan had a link to one a while back that works. I have a Diamond SupraExpress external modem that works, but they are hard to come by. I think that Dan's was an Actiontek modem, I will try to find a link.

P.S. The modem link is here

Of course, you can buy it anywhere, Just do a google search.