Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedStar

How do i get BF2 to work under win2000?

hello smile

I bought the game(pre-order). But, only when in my hands did i notice it was XP only. Even then, i naturally assumed it would still work with 2000 even so.

I don't see why it wouldn't... except for EA shanigans.

Now, i would run out and buy XP except for 1 thing...

I want to spend my money on Vista...not XP!!

But, I don't want to wait until the second quarter of 2006 either. frown

Anyone else have this problem of wanting to bypass XP but finding it harder to do so right at the end of its life?

But my main question remains...how do i get BF2 to run under win2kp (bypass the version check)?

It probably won't be of much help to you, but I just wanted to say that my brother has Windows 2000 and was able to install and play both the Battlefield 2 demo as well as the full game, without doing anything special. EA just didn't want to spend the extra money to have to officially support the limited number of 2000 users.

well ask your brother how he did it please. smile

I put in the BF2 disk....a message pops up saying it only runs on win XP and then the installation stops.

Don't know what to tell ya. I asked him just to confirm and he said the same thing, it just installed without a hitch. Try just running the Setup.exe from the disc.

Thanks for the replies!

Putting BF2 disk in my other drive and then clicking on the setup file (as suggested) worked. SO i wish i had asked this question like a month ago smile

However, after installing the game..i am prompted to install dx 9c. But, I already have DX 9c installed. (cancel aborts whole setup frown )

So i install custom option...and this ends up not allowing you to bypass the 9c install also.

What gives!?

I would install over...but that kind of thing has caused me grief in the past.

Plus..my 9600 pro requires cat 3.4 (as this is only version to date that actually works for me). If i install over. I usually have to reinstall graphics driver.

So..how do i avoid reinstalling DX 9c?

TIA smile

edit: after typing i just went ahead and let it install...no probs. ah well. BF2 forever!! smile

I just installed F.E.A.R. and that also asks to install DX 9.0c

(I already have it installed), so I said yes and it installed the game and it DID NOT reinstall DX.

So I suggest you run setup again and select yes to install DX9 and it should skip it if its installed already.

Originally posted by peterh:

Quote:
I just installed F.E.A.R. and that also asks to install DX 9.0c

(I already have it installed), so I said yes and it installed the game and it DID NOT reinstall DX.

So I suggest you run setup again and select yes to install DX9 and it should skip it if its installed already.

Actually it will install some files (for DX9.0c) unless you allready have the August update. Regardless it won't be a big deal.

S

Hmm how did you get this to work... i tried the manual install, that didnt work. I tried both of my cd-roms and clicking on just the setup.exe and that didnt work. Could you please list your steps that you did to install bf2 on w2k? Thanks

Did you do the manual install and put it on your other HD or did you do the install from the CD-rom?

Originally posted by redstar:

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

Putting BF2 disk in my other drive and then clicking on the setup file (as suggested) worked. SO i wish i had asked this question like a month ago smile

However, after installing the game..i am prompted to install dx 9c. But, I already have DX 9c installed. (cancel aborts whole setup frown )

So i install custom option...and this ends up not allowing you to bypass the 9c install also.

What gives!?

I would install over...but that kind of thing has caused me grief in the past.

Plus..my 9600 pro requires cat 3.4 (as this is only version to date that actually works for me). If i install over. I usually have to reinstall graphics driver.

So..how do i avoid reinstalling DX 9c?

TIA smile

edit: after typing i just went ahead and let it install...no probs. ah well. BF2 forever!! smile