Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

XP won't boot

A buddy of mine has a TDK computer. I really know very little about this machine, other than, it has a 533 Mhz Pentium III , and 256 mb ram. We have installed Windows XP severall times, and the OS is there, but, the machine won't boot the OS, I know this because I can see the partition, and the files when RUNNING a linux live cd (Beatrix), and I succesfully installed and ran Fedora Core 4 on this machine, it would boot fine! I used FC4 to look at the drive and make some partition changes, and then tried to install XP again, and let XP have the entire disk (60 gig). I'm only guessing here, but could this be a 64 bit machine? and are windows products incompatible with it ( windows 98 would install but not boot also)? Am I missing something in the install? I Googled TDK, and got a lot of electronics products, but no TDK computer info. So far I have installed 2 Linux different Linux distrobutions on this machine, with no problems at all, and ran 3 different live cd's on it. But it just refuses to boot Windows 98 or XP, when I install them. I am attempting these installs as stand alone installs ( I'm not trying to dual boot until after WinXP install is succesfull). I did run a media wiper on this machine at one point, and after it searched for drives it did come back with "no Hysical drives found" , whats up with that?

Any Help on this would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in Advance

Justbill

Quote:
I'm not trying to dual boot until after WinXP install is succesfull

You have to install Windows 98 before XP if you want to dual boot.

Even if it is a 64 bit machine they will run 32 bit OS just fine.

After installing XP have you tried booting off the XP CD again into recovery console then make sure the boot.ini is there and is correct?

Bootcfg

We did try to boot off XP cd, and never could get to the OS. I will try again tomorrow ( the machine is at work).

On my new computer (Compaq Presario SR1426NX) XP came pre- installed on the NTFS file system, and I am dual booting (typing this while in SuSe 9.3 pro ) with no issue's.

Thanks

Justbill

P.S. Thanks for the link! I printed the info and I'm sure it will help

[Edited by Justbill on 2005-09-22 19:13:29]