Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tony1c

Anyone break the 24hr uptime barrier yet?

I think you've got an squirrel living in your computer if you have to reboot that often. This OS is stable as unix.

My system is very stable, I average 3-4 day uptimes. Only problems I have are still related to the damn buggy Nvidia Drivers. As far as win2k being as stable as unix, I wouldnt go that far. but it comes damn close.

well my box runs about as long as i want it to but new drivers or some program or something seem to have me reboot but what i want to know is how have you people been running rc1 an rc2 for months and even years in some cases am i smoking crack or are they not time bombed well i know there is patch but i did not think that many people had it

a 444 day "trial period, thats a lot more then a year, sh*t summer will coem around and Ill have to unplug my router and update it before that trial period ends... Iv got the retail sitting right here box and all, just dotn need to upgrade so why bother...

Well, I installed Win2K on my ThinkPad 600X, and it's been the cleanest OS install I've ever done (aside from sound not working which I think is a known issue). Seems rock solid, and the built in hibernate mode is great. So I'm guessing that for now Win2K + nVidia = BAD. Even the 3.78 drivers don't come close to cutting it...

Tony

man something is up with your comp. my comp breaks the 24 hour mark all the time. usually i end up rebooting for some reason or other not really out of necessity. my system spec

celery 400@600 (air cooled)with alpha heatsink with ys-techfan

abit BE6-2

128 megs PC-100 RAM

voodoo3 2000 OC'ed to 166mhz

sb live value

hollywood+ DVD decoder

IBM 16.8 gig HD

quantum 6.5 gig HD(slow as all hell)

toshiba CD-rom drive(40X)

acer DVD drive(10X)

panasonic CD-r (4x8)no instabilities here with win2k

[This message has been edited by kermster (edited 26 February 2000).]

My comp usually runs pretty well - with all these beta drivers and the random lock-ups, apparently something to do with the Nvidia drivers as well - it's hard to judge at the moment - maybe when "proper" drivers (except from Creative, of course) come out, it'll be easier.

Exorcist

My system was very similar to yours and was bombing just as frequently. But, upon installing those lovely Dell SBLive drivers with the universal .inf, it has been damn near bulletproof. I had a game failure yesterday, but I am sure that was DX7/ Unreal Tournament-related. afew more revs of the geforce and sblive drivers and I hope to reach nirvana!

I think I beat everyone's record. I restart my system more than 30 times a day, reinstall Windows 3 times a week (Hella of trouble with CD Writer/Geforce/Scanner/Sound Card).

50% 50% chance of getting a hang when I run any 3D graphics.

I get quite sick of getting any games to run. Infact, I rather have it on Windows 98, a much more stable platform for games.

ok, a question for all you people. I've got win2k pro finial, voodoo3, amd k6-2 500, 128mb RAM. when i boot up my computer i let it idle windows is using about 55-60mb RAM total (physical and kernel) and after leaving maybe 5 or 6 hours when i close down all my apps and let it idle (so its the same as when i first booted) windows is using about 80mb RAM total. So, if you lot are leaving your computer on for weeks and weeks aren't you running very low on memory resources by now? if not, what am i doing wrong??? i belive i only have the essintial programs running. i'll list them. (when i try to close them by ending task it says "operation could not be completed access denied")

System Idle Process, System, smss.exe, winlogon.exe, crss.exe, services.exe, lsass.exe, svchost.exe, spoolsv.exe, svchost.exe (yes twice), regsvc.exe, mstask.exe, winmgmt.exe, explorer.exe, taskmgr.exe.

So how do yoo lot manage to keep your systems going for so long without rebooting????

cheers

Ok I am just dumb, how does one check uptime? I know I can do in in mirc (but I don't use that much I prefur a diff irc client) and I have seen a 3rd party app, but I don't want to have to use some outside thing. I know you could do in in 98 but for the life of me I can't fig it out in w2k.

Oh granted only time I have had to reboot is when installing driver for hardware.

open up Task Manager, processes tab, and look at the CPU Time for the System Idle Process.

LM said: "open up Task Manager, processes tab, and look at the CPU Time for the System Idle Process."

Not to be mean, but WRONG answer.

That time indicates the idle time of your CPU. If you run some CPU clock cycle eating program (SETI@home, PrimeNT, etc.) that time might show how early in the startup that you started those programs...

For me to quickly check, I just double click on my LAN connection icon in the system tray. It shows the time that the network has been active on the computer - which for me is as soon as Windows boots up. But probably the best place to check would be in the System Event Log - check for the entry that shows that the log was started, and that will give you the last time that you started your computer.

Regards...