Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tony1c

Anyone break the 24hr uptime barrier yet?

I've been running Win2K at home for several weeks now and still haven't broken the 24 hr uptime mark (though I got to 23.5 recently). I'd say mean time between failure on Win2k is about 30 minutes.

My computer at work (NT 4 SP6) has over 600 hours of continuous uptime now, and that's only because I had to shut it down a few weeks back to replace a power supply fan.

So is 23.5 hrs on W2K the record so far?

Tony

No my system uptime has exceeded the 24 hour barrier plenty of times. I reboot my computer maybe once or twice a week

Hahahah

I was up for a little over 2 weeks on Rc3 with the VERY unstable first dx7 tntx/geforce drivers (3.32 or something).

It went bsod after I quit q2 once...

I think you got a unstable system man...

My system:

P3 450@558mhz 2.0v, 124mhz fsb on a Abit Bh6, 192mb PC-100, Winfast S320II 32 (32meg tnt2 non-ultra), sb live value, etc, etc etc.....

------------------

-[LoU]Lyron, One of 3 leaders of the Lords of the UnderWorld (Action Q2 Clan)

Mine has been up for over two weeks. Last reboot was by choice not necessity.

Ed

What the hell?!! My system has been up for weeks without a single involuntary reboot. I only just rebooted yesterday and only after installing the latest security and compatability updates. My system is rock solid. Love it. Not one problem since installing it back in January. Please don't flame me...it's true.

System: PentIII/450

128meg SDRam PC-100

2/Maxtor 8gb IDE drives ATA-33

Voodoo3/2000(no problems from start)

SoundBlaster Live Value (ditto)

Pioneer 10x DVD

Abit BX6-2 (flashed bios B-4 install)

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet (no probs)

Cable Modem

Sony 17" Trinitron

[This message has been edited by Robo_Grunt (edited 23 February 2000).]

24 hours? Try 24 days.

Win2k is solid as a solid thing with a special reason to be solid.

Yeah dude, Your system is not right! 23 hours?? Wow!! Mine has been running since Sunday night! No reboots.. Give us some more specs of the system. Maybe we can try and figure it out!

Also, make sure you are not overclocking. Win2k is a touchy OS so try and not use tweaks while trying to diag the cause..

------------------

When the world comes to a halt, Hold The F*** ON!!!

With 98, I used to reinstall every 3 weeks, and now, I reboot every 3 week.

And I reboot and don't crash, cos of driver update.

And my CPU is running à 100% all the time (SETI@home), my FTP server is at 10Mbps all the time (MPEG4movie server on my LAN), and my hard disks are used a lot when I rip DVD to MP4 while still doing FTP server, and every evening, I play UT in D3D and OpenGL with my TNT2 for 2 hours.

You should have a prob, man.

Awx

Mine has automated tasks to reboot, loginin as administrator, connect to my ISP and then run automatic windows update on 23:45 of each day! wink

My server is running 24/7 and the only time I needed to reboot in the last 2 weeks is when I ran the 2000 updates from Microsoft.

I have run my work PC for 24 easy.

No time probs whatsoever.

------------------

yea, every three days or so i restart for some reason or another, either changing hardware or i just feel like powering down, other than that, i'm always breaking the 24 time barrier.

My box at home has been up for at least 72 hours with no problems. I am pretty sure that my Win2k server box (my workstation) at work has never been shut down and it has been up since we launched on the 17th. I would check the HCL if I were you, you probably have some non-hcl hardware.

Well, all my crashes seem DX7 related.

FYI My config is:

Win2K Pro Release

Pentium III 500

320MB RAM

ABIT BF6 MOBO

CL Geforce DDR (nVidia 3.78 drivers)

SB Live (the drivers Win2K installed)

27GB ATA66 HD

I used this configuration with Win 98SE and would go for weeks w/o reboots.

Right now I'm mostly surfing and playing games on this computer. Currently I'm playing Planescape: Torment, which locks up the display or (less frequently) causes a BSOD about every hour or so. Torment is just about the best game I've ever played... so NOT playing it is NOT an option.

Tony

Only time I reboot is when installing drivers or a diskeeper boot time defrag. Ive been up for 3 days or something now I dont count. I never have to reboot because of crash or malfunction. Oh no.

My system is running rock stable, no BSOD since I am using it (for over 4 months now) and since I am a SW develloper - beliefe me - I squeeze the poor guy hard!

Llion

You have to be kidding... I mean I used to reboot my computer at least once a day. Since I installed RC2 back in September of last year, I have had less than 10 reboots - and only 3 were caused by Windows problems, about 5 of them were for programs, and the other 2 were for the heck of it.

The 3 crashes were due to some weird interaction that RC2 had with MS Publisher 2000, and one was an Adaptec EZ CD creator BSOD.

The really bad thing (in your case) is that I know of a few other machines that have been going longer.... My programmer has a server that has been running RC1 with Advanced Server since January of 1999 - with zero reboots. His personal workstation has been running since June 1999 on RC2.

I would guess that your configuration has something to do with it. The ATA66 HD or the Geoforce DDR - either one of which is sure to have some funny stuff in the drivers.

Good luck on finding the problem though.

Regards...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Quote:
Originally posted by Robo_Grunt:
What the hell?!! My system has been up for weeks without a single involuntary reboot. I only just rebooted yesterday and only after installing the latest security and compatability updates. My system is rock solid. Love it. Not one problem since installing it back in January. Please don't flame me...it's true.

System: PentIII/450
128meg SDRam PC-100
2/Maxtor 8gb IDE drives ATA-33
Voodoo3/2000(no problems from start)
SoundBlaster Live Value (ditto)
Pioneer 10x DVD
Abit BX6-2 (flashed bios B-4 install)
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet (no probs)
Cable Modem
Sony 17" Trinitron

[This message has been edited by Robo_Grunt (edited 23 February 2000).]

So you are saying you havent put in the new voodoo3 drivers for Win2k released last week? BUSTED!!

This is a good utility that tells you how long your computer has been running. And its free.

http://www.idyle.com/uptime/

The only time my system is unstable is when I play dx7 games I have also experienced lock ups with SMP in Q3A. I also wanna be leet and post my PC so here it goes.

dual p3 500 @ 560

soyo D6IBA w/7880 SCSI

320 megs of PC133

geforce CL 256 DDR

CL Live Value

8 gig IBM (OS)

18 gig IBM (pr0n)

DVD, CD-R yada yada yada...

and intel says I need more?

I've been up for about 3 days right now, before then, i was up for about a week before.

id love to try to break 1 week, but with installations and driver updates that need a reboot, its kind of hard to do at times.

but performance wise i probably could stay up for a month, maybe a year =)

oen of my routers is running win2k rc2, havent needed to upgrade it because its not giving me ANY problems and its been running over 4 months, without a SINGLE powerdown, restart, shutdown, software reboot.

Its running a dual 233 mmx with gobs of ram. I havent checked it recently but Its got about half a gig.

And this once build 2195 Iv had it running for 239 hours without a reboot but had to since I had to throw in anohter 128 stick.