Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shydisturbedboy

mandrake10.1 and windows xp on sata hd problem..

i have a problem installing mandrake 10.1 on my pc... i have a msi pt880 mobo, p4 2.4, 512mb ram, and a seagate barracuda sata hd and a maxtor ide hd.. i have windows xp service pack 2 installed on my sata hd.. when i boot from cd, there comes a point where it says its installing the driver for the sata hd.. i think.. it says:

Installing driver for disk/ide|scsi|hardware_raid|firewire card VIA Technologies Inc|VT 8237 SATA150 Controller

after a long wait, it will say:

Installing driver for disk/ide|scsi|hardware_raid|firewire card parport_pc

then an error occurs:

insmod'ing module sata_via failed at/

usr/bin/perl-install/modules.pm line 301

what should i do... i'm also planning on installing windows 98..

can anyone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help me

First of all, I would not install Windows 98 on this box. You are going to run into a bunch of issues, unless you know what your doing. If you do, ignore this comment!

What is the ide drive jumpered as? Primary master.....?

Where are you going to Install Mandrake? The ide or sata drive?

For Mandrake, try the following;

At the installation screen, press F1 for advanced options and typed in:

linux noapic (hit the enter key)

Or, text noapic (hit the enter key)

on the sata drive... it is jumpered as a slave.. i tried removing the ide hd but it still wont install.. also has an error.. forgot what the error says

So, the installation still fails by using either the linux noapic or text noapic variables?

If so, I would try to install Mandrake 2005 Limited Edition. The support for your via sata may have improved since 10.1 was released.

You could also try the latest version of Mepis of Knoppix from the live cd to see if the motherboard accepts one of these. If so, you can install any of them to the hard drive.

no.. i havent tried the linux noapic or text noapic... sorry for the misunderstanding. will it be hard if i tried linux noapic or text noapic? im just a newbie in linux. hehe

No, the installation is the same by typing in linux noapic as suggested. You are just telling the installer to ignore some bios values that may be complicating the installation.

BTW, make sure that you defrag the Windows installation before you install Mandrake. This will make sure that any data files that may reside toward the end of the Windows partition are moved back toward the beginning of the partition. This will assure that when Mandrake makes room for it's installation there is less chance for data loss on the XP partition.

I assume that you will tell Mandrake to use some of the Windows disk space for installation, or have you partitioned your sata drive already to make room for the Mandrake install?

I have the same problem withe a Western Digital hd and an nvidia bord. After about 20 min of trying to install the drivers it gives me a similar error as mentioned above in line 341 as far as I can remember. I find this odd, because installation worked the first time I tried, when I realized I screwed up the bootloader and could not get into linux. I have no idea of how to work with linux... I tried rescuing the linux installation but still couldn't get onto it. only windows xp. windows is on the SATA WD hd as well, on a seperate partition. I tried running the installation process again but it failed at the hd drivers and hence can't find the hd afterwards.

I formatted the partition again and tried anew, with no luck. does this mean I won't be able to install it at all?

by the way I'm using mandriva limited edition 2005.

Please help if you can, I'll try to supply any other information... as I keep trying...

oh another strange effect of this akward installation of Linux is that my USB ports are dead... who knows what else... I'm confused, since it seemed so straight foreward, I couldn't have done that much wrong... *sigh*

;_; please help... I'm desperate

Edit: well, after rebooting a few hundred times I found my USB ports were working again and plugged both keyboard and mouse back into them and tried Mandriva installation one more time... and what do you know, suddenly it can install the SATA drivers. well, well... I'm guessing it has to do with the bios? hm... now all I have to figure out is how to configure lilo so I can get into linux this time...

[Edited by Enoon on 2005-09-14 17:57:50]

I have used Mandriva from Mandrake 10.0 through Mandriva 2005LE, with WD SATA drives and the VIA 8237 chipset without any install problems. Of course, I didn't try to install Mandriva with Windows on the system....it's strictly a Linux box. Shouldn't be a problem due to the VIA chipset nor the SATA drives, I wouldn't think. I'm currently using SUSE 9.3 with the same VIA chipset and WD SATA drives, but now two of them in RAID0 array. Again, no problems. I'd guess possibly something to do with Windows being on the drives, as well. Both of my SATA drives are jumpered for Auto, as I remember.

zenarcher

Args... now I got the bootloader lilo to work, but mandriva won't load. 0x25 timeout lots of stuff I don't understand... though it keeps repeating

nv sata primary device added

nv sata primary device removed

nv sata secondary deice added

nv sata secondary device removed ...

a couple of times... then it does nothing. keeps telling me timeout. could this really be the fault of windows??? I need windows on my computer; I know too little about linux to just switch but it's giving me such problems... should I try to reinstall? I'm beginning to dislike my harddisk.

it says

IRQ 10 nobody cared

and at the end

disabling IRQ 10

I have no clue as to how to reassign IRQs and if it might help, I don't even know what it is... I'm willing to learn though. I really want this to work... how can it be this complicated?

windows still boots fine...

the mother board I'm using is

Nvidia K8N Neo4

did bios updates etc just a few days ago.

what do I do?

Wish I could help with that, but I've never run Windows on the same box with Linux, so I'm not much help. I'm sure someone here will come up with an idea to resolve the issue.

Regards,

zenarcher

You did the bios update before the installation of Mandriva?

Were you having problems that led you to update the bios?

Once you updated the bios, did you set the default settings, or otherwise?

Try this. Go into the bios and disable PNP OS. Usually it is set in the PCI/PNP Configuration Menu. Save the changes and see what happens.

How did you format the drive for the Mandriva installation?

Did you defrag the Windows partition before installing Mandriva? If you installed on the same drive, this is a good idea, as often files get stuck at the end of the Windows partition and this can complicate things.

I assume the sata drive is the only one in the system. So, you installed lilo into the MBR, or boot partiton of Mandriva?

Well guys Im having the same problem here

Im using a MSI K8T NEO FI2SR mainboard and it has the VIA SATA controller....my SATA drive is a Hitachi Deskstar 160GB

When I start the mandrake installer after a few while it gives the same message

Installing driver for disk/ide|scsi|hardware_raid|firewire card VIA Technologies Inc|VT 8237 SATA150 Controller

and hangs there forever

I do have another Windows XP SP2 installed on the primary partition of the SATA drive....I dont know whats wrong with it...seems no one

knows a solution frown

I'm only guessing here, but possibly something to do with BIOS or configuration with Windows on the same drive. I use the MSI KT6V motherboard (I have two boxes on my network with the same mobos), which use the VIA8237. I'm using WD SATA drives. Installing two previous versions of Mandriva, I remember seeing the same messages you are getting, but without the errors. In fact, the message was there so briefly, during the install, it was difficult to read it all before it disappeared. The installation worked fine with the MSI motherboard and the SATA drives. Setting them up in a RAID array was impossible for me with Mandriva, but as straight SATA drives, there was no problem. I'm now using the same motherboards, with the same SATA drives...but easily set up in RAID0, with SUSE 10.0. Same with the previous version of SUSE. As such, I don't think the problem is with either Mandriva, the MSI motherboard, the SATA drives or the VT8237.

zenarcher

Hi Guys,

I think the only persons to understand and use linux, every distros, are all to be IT professionals. Windows is still best for end-users. So if you are trying to use linux, forget it. Unlike me, I'm trying to learn linux not to do away windows but to know both world. Still, free is a great deal.

d_max

I have two systems, one with an onboard silicone image chipset and the other with the same chipset on an add-on card. I have the same issue on the system with the add-on card.

I am not using raid.

There is something funky with PCI detection. But from what I have read, the issue is with raid. Look at raid as software driven and sata as bios or hardware driven.

One system requires that a jumper be set on the motherboard for sata, the other is totally bios driven.

If raid is set up previously in Windows, then I have seen the issue crop up on posts, as well.

Since I don't use raid, I can't comment. Someday!

Posted by a non-IT professional. smile