Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mochalite

How to restore to an unlisted restore point

After applying new system updates to windows XP home edition back on 5/29/05, my system wouldn't reboot, no matter what I tried. I decided to try repair or reinstalling the original cd but nothing. I tried installing a pro edition and it got to a point where it said "system is running a different OS, abort install". I was finally able to install win 98 but this obviously didn't bring back my old files. I install norton goback to see if it would help, but no luck.

I have finally removed the HD from the computer and plug it into a USB unit so it can be transportable to any computer.

When I look at the HD files, I see several back ups, including one that says "my back up 5/29". I have not deleted any files from the HD.

Does any body know how I can restore to the 5/29 backup? this restore point is not listed on the restore points available, so it would be a utility that allows overriding the normal restore points. Any ideas?

No its not possible.

What backup utility did you use to create the 'backup 5/29' file?

Ideally, you would copy off the data and backup files (backups should NOT be on the same disk as the data! What if the disk dies? Data and backups would be useless.)

The reinstall a clean install of XP, install the backup program and restore files from backup file.

The backup was created by tne system itself, I assume when I tried to reinstall it, or install xp pro. I did not use any utility to backup.

Yes, I realize that the data to be restored should be on one media and the os on another, my question is what method or utility is available to restore it? It would have to be a utility that allows restores from any restore point, even those not listed on the calendar.