Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
romanticnick4eva

Dwl-520 D-link wireless card need help?

Hi anyone can help me im very new to linux i installed fedora 4 and i dont know how to add drivers in to linux so it reconizes my dwl-520 rev -b card i read alot of things about it but it dont make since to me so if you can help how to edit the config file please let me know thanks

romanticnick4eva@hotmail.com

If this is the DWL-520 revision b card, then Fedora may already see it as a prism chipset.

Did you try using the Network Administration Tool?

Go to the Main Menu Button (on the Panel) => System Settings => Network.

...and see if it is listed.

If not, do you have the ndiswrapper package installed on your system?

Originally posted by romanticnick4eva:

Quote:
no it aint i dont know how to edit it so it will work

OK, no it aint what? You need to be more specifc. The card is not listed, or you don't have ndiswrapper installed on the system?

I will assume that you did not (or were not able to) configure the card during the installation. Many people miss this.

Go back to the network tool and click on the "add" button. Choose wireless. Do you get just "other" or does it show your card with some options to install it?

If you card model shows, what options do you get? If it offers to install the card without the ndiswrapper option, go ahead and try it.

You may only get one option of installing using ndiswrapper. If this is the case, than things will be a little more complcated. You will need your native Windows XP drivers from the wireless card installation cd to install and configure ndiswrapper.

It would also be helpful if you give some more information. Is your network set up with WEP or WPA?

But let's go one step at a time.

danleff's taking you through step by step, so I'd continue to follow those directions, but here's some info on the DWL-520 rev B in particular that may be useful (most of this I got from the ndiswrapper sourceforge site, so you can look there for more info):

-the card sold in Europe has a different chipset than the one sold in the USA.

-The USA one uses the atheros chipset, which means you can use the madwifi drivers (and avoid ndiswrapper entirely). This method worked fine for me on Fedora Core 4 just a few days ago. To get the madwifi drivers, I recommend using the livna.org rpm repository and yum (check out http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html or www.fedorafaq.org to see how), so you can just type:

yum install madwifi

...and then do what danleff suggested with the network configuration tool.

In Fedora, if the drivers come in an rpm package, generally all you have to do with the default setup is install the drivers. Unfortunately, with network cards, this is way easier if you already have a working internet connection, so if you can, connect your computer to the internet (temporarily) with an ethernet cable so you can download the drivers. Once you're connected, here's what to do next:

-Set up yum to work with the repository where the driver you want is (in this case, livna.org - see the links to instructions in my previous post)

-As root, run:

yum install madwifi

yum will download madwifi, anything else it needs to work (probably at least a kernel module), and install it all automatically. If you don't have any way of getting an internet connection from Fedora, you'll have to download the rpm and its dependencies and install them yourself. If that's the case, just say so, and somebody (maybe me) will guide you through it.

-Once the driver is installed, reboot your computer (this is the simplest way)

-Go into System Settings | Network, and look in "Hardware" for something like "Atheros (...)". If you've got the same version of the card as me, that's your card right there, and you can switch back to the "Devices" tab and hit new, and choose the obvious choices ("wireless", etc).

If you manage to install the madwifi drivers and reboot without your computer complaining at all about them, and you still don't see anything in the "Hardware" section, you probably have a different version of the card, which means madwifi won't work, and I can't help you much.

If your card says DWL-520 only, then it should be the USA model with the atheros chipset.

If it says DWL-520+ (note the "+") then it is the overseas model.

If the card is not seen with the drivers included in Fedora, then you need a utility like madwifi or ndiswrapper.

By all means, try the madwifi drivers, as suggested by talljimbo.

hf everyone, can you help me,I installed ubuntu 5.10,and I can't connect to my network,I,m using d-link DWL G-122 USB Wireless Adapter,what should I do

In order to understand what chipset is in your USB device, we need to know the exact model number and revision of the device. There are several revisions of this card, A, A2, B and D.

Look on the ID plate to get the revision number. This will determine whether you have native support for the device, or if you will need to load a specific driver for it. if you don't know where to look, click on the reference link below and select the device that you have. This will bring up a screen to tell you where to look for the revision number.

Reference

Have you tried any solutions so far?

Is your internet connection broadband or DSL?

Do you have WEP or WPA set up on the router?

hi. i'm interested in your response because i'm getting ready to move from windows xp to ubuntu linux, and i want to make sure i can use my dlink dwl g122 ver a2. i haven't used linux before, but i have a friend you will be able to help me out if you point me in the right direction.

my internet connection is broadband using a wireless linksys WRT54G router, set up to use wpa.

hope to see your response soon.

many thanks.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
In order to understand what chipset is in your USB device, we need to know the exact model number and revision of the device. There are several revisions of this card, A, A2, B and D.

Look on the ID plate to get the revision number. This will determine whether you have native support for the device, or if you will need to load a specific driver for it. if you don't know where to look, click on the reference link below and select the device that you have. This will bring up a screen to tell you where to look for the revision number.

Reference

Have you tried any solutions so far?

Is your internet connection broadband or DSL?

Do you have WEP or WPA set up on the router?