Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WRX_Rocky

Which is best for games? XP64, or 2003 64bit?

Because of my job, I have both XP 64bit and 2003 64bit. But, I don't know which one would be best for games, or more like which one would be best supported for games = as in video drivers, Logitech MX518 driver, Audigy 2ZS drivers, etc . . . .

I have an ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe mobo, Leadtech 6800GT, and an AMD 64 3800+

Thanks

Well actually from some of the stuff I've been reading, neither ATM frown

I've been reading on various forums that the 64-bit Windows OS's have some backward compatibility issues with some, possibly many games.

My suggestion is to either wait for x64 patches from the software vendors before upgrading or simply create a dual-boot machine on two different partitions or HD's.

I would install XP Pro(x32) on one HD/Partition and the XP Pro(x64) on another.

You're going to really play hell finding full-featured drivers right now, most are still in BETA stages and may only give some basic functionality to the hardware wink

I've been looking at upgrading to something like your config as well but I'm waiting for better driver support in the Windows x64 before jumping into this.

Also, I've built a few boxes using that motherboard and Athlon FX-53's, installed was just XP Pro (x32) along with only a single 6600 GT. I must say however, that these boxes still screamed compared to a similar Intel configured box.

Now you won't get the full 64-bit experience from only a 32-bit OS but really, you may want to wait until Far Cry 64-bit is released to really take advantage of this laugh

XP 64 and 2003 64 are pretty much the same OS....but obviously XP is the OS that will be most supported.

As far as games tho...almost all games are 32bit so running a 32bit game on a 64bit OS is just the same as running the game on a 32bit OS, there won't be any speed increase.

Frankly it's not worth the trouble unless you have a real NEED to use a 64bit OS.

I might disagree on that. I have tried Brothers in Arms, Dark Age of Camelot, and City of Heroes under XP 64bit - and they seem to run a wee bit faster (Brothers in Arms loads WAY FASTER!!!), and the multiplayer part seems more stable.

Anyway, the 2003 part is moot now. I found out the version I was given is not the 64 bit one frown