Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LSD

Switching back to good ol' win98

whats the point of win2k if you cant run programs without getting "**** has generated errors and will be closed" and waiting decades for 3dfx to release drivers or buy another monitor if you dont have one and having to buy another sound card.I wouldnt need to be here everyday asking how to fix problems and incompatibilities. Win2k is very buggy and and i can't run 1/2 of the software i purchased.I think i'll stick with win98.

Runs great on my system.

I don't think Win2k is buggy, I believe there exists immature drivers and a break on old hardware support.

It's not meant to support everything, that's what makes it so great.

If you don't have the hardware, don't upgrade.

HAHAHA, text book post as we were expecting. Win2k works fine for me(and many others, too many to count actually) and so does my 3dfx card.(see above comment =) hehe

You really should check the hardware compatability list and do a little more research before upgrading then. Or actually try and figure things out, you'll have to do it sooner or later.

I think you should go back to Windows 98. Windows2000 is too high tech some people. Personally, I enjoy not seeing kernal errors and the Blue screen of Death. But some people ignore it and keep on trudging with good ol' Windows 98.

Here is something to think about though. When was Windows NT 4.0 released? Now, when was Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and, now the newest version, Millinium released? If you want to stick with ONE operating system for at least the next 4 years I would HIGHLY suggest that you try Windows 2000. If you don't mind paying $100.00 every year for a bug patch then I would say stick with good ol' Windows 98.

Just my thoughts.

Personally LSD, if I were you I'd switch back to Windows 98 too. I mean, if you're too ignorant to use Win2k, then switch back by all means, but you have to understand that THERE WILL BE DRIVERS! I'm also pissed about lack of driver support and incompatible programs. But I'd trade all of that for a stable OS which Windows 2000 seems to be. I really didn't mean to be an A$$hole but i'm having a bad day. Sorry.

Have a Nice Day. smile

Hey seldzar do you think they will release some smokin drivers for the voodoo3? The ones they released were kindof rushed and arent really that great. No smp either.

You said it !!!! Finally, here come the post : "Win2k sucks, it's such a big sh@t, I go back to Win98, Win2k users are @ssholes !!!!". smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

Awx - LOL

well, LSD think about this:

the main difference between getting BSOD in win2k and win9x is that in a matter of fact we are still trying (forcing) to use software that was basically written for win9x in win2k. further, BSOD/illegal ops(mainly kernel32.dll) in win2k are caused by programs in contrast with win9x in whick are caused by the same op system. Win9x has an older code than win2k (like e.g Windows v.1.xx vs Windows v.2.0 stable). Last but not least you should see that for every common problem in win2k a solution has already been found -working- or an alternative program will do the job. Finally it's really your personal opinion to stay with whichever OS you like. wink

[This message has been edited by 5t3ph3n (edited 21 February 2000).]

I wouldnt say it suxx Awaxx im still keeping my copy for the new computer im buying since i won't be running any games on it.

Not that this has anything to do with this topic but, Johnny i feel the v3 drivers that were released are quite solid and offer awesome d3d peformance improvements over the betas. How ever there are some small little bugs which shows that the drivers were rushed out. But hey can you complain about not having drivers and when they release them for you complain they aren't that great? Go figure =)My motto is it only gets better than this and hell "this" is pretty good right now.

And I will going all the ay back toe W95! If I dont need USB and IE. smile hahaha...

Can't beat my ZX Sinclair running CP/M for raw, down to the metal performance. them rubber keys are a real prodoctivity boost, you natural keyboard whippersnappers!

-pvg

tangra@#ntcompatible

I'm buying a new computer and i need to know whats the best i can get for 2 grands wothout incompatibilities an 3dfx related products

This complaining also happened when Windows NT 4.0 came out.

And lo and behold the manufacturers came out with better drivers and everyone was happy.

The end.

W2K may not be as good as win98 (for games) but once the driver and bugs are fixed, I can't see y win98 is still needed in my box.

after 2 hours of Rogue Spear multiplay in the net, I need to reboot 98 otherwise it will crash.

good old 98? I would prefer good old 98's reboot.

"Micorsoft Windows 2000" SUCKS! as all their other OS...they all suck and dont function at all.... Everyone knows that, a gamer, programer or 3d modeler like me...

Let me see....Win NT4...gee iget ALMOST everthing right except the fuc** sound card...yeah right...hmmm win98...well everything works fine except that i can use only one proccesor and when i model in 3dstudio max for more than 30 minutes or if i open a 100000+ polygons model ..wheeee BLUE FUC*** SCREEN!!!! YEAH!!!

win2k...hmmm well looks like this system is the worst one..the graphics card aint working...and the like..nothing else is working as its suppose to...the OS is so slow that is even cant open the fuc*** windows update homepage...come on ppl..whe all know that microsoft makes windows as worse they can! nothing works on it...god damn it...they even cant make it work when they want to...remeber that nice crash on BBC with win98, IN FRONT OF MILLIONS PPL WATCHING??? if they couldnt make it work than, how the hell are they going to make it work now?? as i just found out...the better your machine is...the worse will win2k or win98 work...none of my microsoft OS works as its suppose to...you can read my detailed computer specs below...have a nice microsoft life..they OWN YOU! coz you dont have other choices....

----------------------------------------

Dual P3 600Mhz/133Mhz

256Mb PC133

MSI 6120 Dual server mobo

Asus AGPV3800 Ultra Deluxe TVR riva tnt2

SBlive player 1024!

Creative Dxr3 mpeg card!

3com fast ethernet 10/100 pci networkadapter

27,3 gig IBM ATA/66 7200rpm

Aopen 10X DVDplayer

Yamaha 8/4/24 burner...

Aopen full tower 300watt case....

----------------------------------------

if you cant get it work with this power machine...then i dont know what you need to have...486??

how i know this?

well i came to this conclusion after 96 hourse of reinstalling and reconfiguring and i dont know what not else...witn winnt4 win98 and win2k....trust me guys i tried everything and....i didnt get any of the OS to work for more than 5 hourse when i work with Photoshop 5.5 and 3dstudio max...the 5 hour limit was made by win98...huh...

so..there is no good all anything...microsoft owns you and they can make OS that suck big time...but you have no choice than to use it...afcourse you can go linux high..but i dont thing that many of us think that OS is cool...you have to be a fuc** proffesor to make it work...ahh i said innufff!!

have it ppl.... smile

Yea your right actually win2k is a ***** and my nephew lost my copy of win98 and i can't switch back!! sh*T!!!

I think you guys suck, my computer works great under win2k, it works better than under win98.

My pentium 2/300mhz 96mb ram, works better under win2k than under win98.

i havn't had one os crash or blue screen since i installed win2k 4 weeks ago, 4 weeks is the longest i've ever had an operating system on my computer. under win95/win98 my computer would become so unstable after about a week, and id have to reformat and reinstall it. win2k has been the stablest operating system i've seen microsoft release, i've used it since beta 2 since november (when i recieved the cd from ms, i believe it was released in august 98?) and beta 3 rc1 in april, in which i was running them for a few months each build, its been stable for me since then, never had any problems, (other than the normal beta bugs)

i have tons of programs running when i startup, at startup i must use about 120mb ram and its so freeken stable i just can't believe it.

under win98 at startup i would have edited it so that not all my programs would startup to keep more memory free, but still it would get unstable, and then have to reboot every few hours.

under win2k, my computer has been up for about 38 hours now, after being in standby during today, and hibernation last night, and still running as good as it did just after a reboot.

games, well they run 100 times faster than on win98 on my machine.

win98 can't compare to the way win2k runs.

p.s. i lost my win98 cd and second edition updates cd. thank god, i think i used them as frizbies last night <vbg>

My specs so you see how to build a real system that works <vbg>

Asus P2L97 (66mhz)

Intel Pentium 2 300mhz

96 MB 66mhz SD Ram

ATI Xpert 98 8mg AGP

Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 PNP/ISA

US Robotics V.90 56k Winmodem ISA

Intel 21041 PCI ethernet (For cable access)

Canon BJC-4300 Series printer.

Major software installed

MS Office 2000

Major games

Quake 3 latest beta patches.

Unreal Tournament

all these work the way its supposed to on my computer.

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 24 February 2000).]

I for one like to reformat. Its like Im used to it and I get a fresh system to work with and play with without any problems. Lately I havent reformatted. I dont think I will be reformatting for awhile frown. Everything works dammit! It still feels like a new system and it hardly ever crashes. I dont think Ive had a crash in like a week anyway. I remember a couple of times I got a crash in ie5 but that has disappeared or is rare or something. Im getting some more ram in this sucker and Ill be set. Actually no I wont. I need to get a new motherboard that supports dual and get a couple of new cpu's to put in there. Then Ill be set. Win2k kicks ass baby!!!!!

You people are still waisting your time with win2k.I'm finally back with 98 and i haven't had much problems.The voodoo2 drivers for my card work great.I must admit that win2k doesnt crash as much but win98 loads faster and i can enjoy all my games.

who's wasting time with win2k, not me, my system works perfrect under win2k, i havn't rebooted my system in 3 weeks, of a 5 week install.

It can be hard for an OS to keep up when your hardware is so far over the bleeding edge that it can't even recognise it.

Perhaps this needs to be kept in mind when b1tching about Win2k.

------------------

--------------------

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Note To All You are missing the main point here! Win 2k just came out give it some time. Also the future of micro$ofts operating systems is based on the NT Kernel. So game producers will have to move all of their games to the win2k and later OS's. I personally have been running win2k since build 2072 and at the final version I have to tell you this is the best OS has ever produced. I wouldn't switch back to win 9X if bill gate$ payed me a billion dollars. I admit I had my trials and tribulations with win2k, but my system is running the best I have ever seen it run. I think anybody that doesn't have the patience to work with things shouldn't bother. The computer industry is by no measure perfect. --- nisei

System Specs:

AMD K6-III\450mhz

96 meg PC-100 SDRAM

Voodoo 3 2000 16meg AGP

2 4 gig drives + 1 1 gig drive

Montego A3D Xtream Sound Card

Creative CDRW 4224E

IWIll XA100 Plus Mo board

Realtex 8029 10/100 NIC Card

One Kick ASS!!! Cable Modem

Altec Lansing Speakers

Give the release some time I mean s**t the software and hardware manufacturers are already starting to release stuff for the os It's only a matter of time.

I have run the beta 2 build (what ever that one was, can't remember)

and beta 3 rc1 (build 2000) and all have been stable, my system has always worked top notch, ok acpi/apm didn't work for me in beta 2 so i had no powermanagnet what so ever, but still at least it works now.