Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kie-san

Freespace 2 installation help

I'm having a having a problem installing Freespace 2. When I put in the CD, it revs up then stops. THere isn't any autorun popping up plus the setup file on the disc won't run either. It'll just rev and stop. Can anyone help me? I"m running on Windows XP media center edition w/ a Pentium 4 and Radeon X300. Please help.

Does this only happen with the Freespace CD? If so, then the CD may need cleaning (or at worst the CD is shot).

I've tried it in both CD drives in my compy. THis has also happened to Caesars 3 as well.

four things:

---is this a pirated copy?

---what speed (8x, 16x, 24x, etc.) is your CD drive?

---how old is the drive?

---is this a replacement drive?

1. Legit copy, bought several years ago. It's the Sci-Fi game of the Year Edition. Bought from a Best Buy. Caesar 3 is legit also

2. Drive one is a HL-DT-ST DVD-rom GDR8163B

two is a Sony DVD RW DW-D22A

I can't seem to find the speeds.

3.The comp itself is 8 months old

4.Haven't been replaced

5. The program has been used on an older computer w/ Win 98 2nd edition

Note: both drives recognize the disk and the label shows up instead of being "no disk in drive". I can see the files but I can't open the Setup.exe or the autorun. I've tried compatibility, even though I don't completely understand how it works.

EDIT: the DVD-rom read speed is 16x

[Edited by kie-san on 2005-07-14 17:36:25]

That didn't do it. I'm on the Admin account now and it won't do autorun or run setup.exe either

EDIT: JUst tested it on another comp with XP and runs fine but I won't install because it's such a P.O.S. It takes 20 minutes for iTunes to open.

have you installed any previous programs on this system w/o any trouble?

did you uninstall it on your old system?

did you check for viruses from your old system?

I've had only one other problem which is Caesars 3 which is doing the same thing. I haven't even installed it on the old comp, I just checked to see if autorun worked on it, and it did. Plus I haven't really scanned for virus plus it has no internet

I had the same problem until I realized someone (my son I'm assuming) had switched disk 1 and disk 2 in the jacket. I looked at the files on the disk, it had a fsautorun .exe and looked like the standard root of most install disks.

I never even really looked at the disks...just grabbed the one in the disk 1 slot. When I realized the disks were switched it installed no prob.