Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CICA

Wireless Card Problem

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could please help me out frown

I am desperately seeking help to try to configure my Linux box to communicate with NetGear MR814v2 wireless router via my Proxim RangeLAN-DS wireless card, and I was hoping that if I put a message in the forum, that someone would be able to provide me with some assistance.

I have recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 5150 Laptop, and I am having a lot of trouble trying to get it to communiate with my Wireless Router using my Wireless Card. (incidently when I make a wired connection to the router from the laptop I am able to access the Internet no problem.) I believe I have installed the correct drivers (linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre25 and pcmcia-cs-3.2.8)

I have been desperatly seeking help with this for the last month and a half but I have yet to solve the problem, this is most likely due to the fact that Linux is a new area to me. So all I can ask is that you could someone "please" help me out, as I would be very grateful...

Many thanks for any help provided

Kind Regards

CICA

According to Absolute Value Systems, it uses the Prism 2 chipset, thus should work...

Proxim 802.11b 8434-05 PCMCIA Prism2/2.5/3 ext antenna connecters

When you first booted did kudzu, "find" the card? Have you tried configuring it with the RH network utility? If not, open a terminal, become root and go:

Code:
system-config-network

What does it say it is using for the driver? This router you have is 802.11b or 802.11g?

Are you using WEP encryption by chance? If so, turn it off until you get your card configured.

Also in system-config-network, is the box checked which tells the network to start at boot? Is system-config-network seeing it as a wired card or a wirless card?

the same thing haped to both my the wireles 802.11b and the wired lan. I can't activat redhat internet how can I fis this in red hat 9.0 p.s. I just start istalled linus om saterday.

RedHat 9 is too old to do the wireless easily.

It would help if you could give us some more information to work on.

1. What system/motherboard is this? In other words, what onboard LAN do you have? If you have a newer motherboard, with say Gigabyte or NVIDIA LAN, Redhat 9 will not detect it.

2. Make, model and version number of the wireless card? To even venture a guess on wireless, we need to know excatly what model and version you have, as there are dozens of chipsets used in each make and model.

Yes, even the same model may have a different chipset, depending on what version it is.

Have you considered Fedora Core 4 as an alternative? Support is much better for both.