Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
carebear

half life 2 error

I can't seem to get half life 2 to load. I keep getting the errors "failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults" , "failed to set video mode - falling back to safe mode settings", and "failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum requirement of direct x 7.0 compatible hardware"

I have a geforce fx 5200 and I'm running windows xp. I've already installed the nvidia drivers and directx 9c.

I just purchased this game and I'm really bummed out that I'm not able to play it. Can anyone help?

Thank you so much! It worked! Not only that, everything seems to be running much better with the older drivers.

Originally posted by carebear:

Quote:
I can't seem to get half life 2 to load. I keep getting the errors "failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults" , "failed to set video mode - falling back to safe mode settings", and "failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum requirement of direct x 7.0 compatible hardware"

I have a geforce fx 5200 and I'm running windows xp. I've already installed the nvidia drivers and directx 9c.

I just purchased this game and I'm really bummed out that I'm not able to play it. Can anyone help?

I found a work around for this "exact" problem... laugh

Keep in mind, I'm no Guru of Tweaking or Vidcards...yet, within 2 mins I had this driver issue fixed using this new program!!! (and yes it's free!)

After installing the Newest Nvidia driver version 77.72...I couldn't launch HL2 to save my life!!!

"failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults" , "failed to set video mode - falling back to safe mode settings", and "failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum requirement of direct x 7.0 compatible hardware...blah,blah,blah..

RRR...I was determined to use this new driver since it worked fine for Everything else...and after doing some forum searching...I found the answer to the problem....It's a Nvidia Tweaking program that gives you much more options, than Nvidia does by itself...

Now, the previous driver I was using was version 71.84...this worked perfectly with HL2..no probs...solution..Import just that one profile from the previous driver to the new driver...well...whadda ya know...HL2 again works perfectly.... Cool huh...

Here's the Tweak Program I got that fixed the compatibility issue for Nvidia's Driver Version 77.72 ---> http://www.nhancer.com/

smile MUff!N

Originally posted by MUff!N:

Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind, I'm no Guru of Tweaking or Vidcards...yet, within 2 mins I had this driver issue fixed using this new program!!! (and yes it's free!)

After installing the Newest Nvidia driver version 77.72...I couldn't launch HL2 to save my life!!!

"failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults" , "failed to set video mode - falling back to safe mode settings", and "failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum requirement of direct x 7.0 compatible hardware...blah,blah,blah..

RRR...I was determined to use this new driver since it worked fine for Everything else...and after doing some forum searching...I found the answer to the problem....It's a Nvidia Tweaking program that gives you much more options, than Nvidia does by itself...

Now, the previous driver I was using was version 71.84...this worked perfectly with HL2..no probs...solution..Import just that one profile from the previous driver to the new driver...well...whadda ya know...HL2 again works perfectly.... Cool huh...

Here's the Tweak Program I got that fixed the compatibility issue for Nvidia's Driver Version 77.72 ---> http://www.nhancer.com/

smile MUff!N

I couldn't get this to work properly. It even has a profile for Half-Life 2, but it still won't work.

Originally posted by MUff!N:

Quote:

Quote:

smile MUff!N

Great tip! smile I hadn't started HL2 since installing 77.72 and had no clue why it would no longer run. A quick google search brought me here. My HL2 problem was also fixed by nhancer.

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

Quote:
Apparently, many 5200 users are getting this error with the latest driver (version 77.72).

Try dropping down to version 71.89.

Thanks! I had the same problem and it fixed it.

I also noticed that the 77.72 drivers mess up the color on some video playback in Windows Media Player. Going back to 71.89 fixed that too.

Hey, well i did everything you said but its still not working. Do you know what is the problem or did yours play perfectly afterwards? Please help me!