Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KairoAnnunaki

Please. Please help.

I need to know how to keep un-needed DLL files from loading into cmd tasklist /m ; svchost.exe, even though I have disabled the Plug And Play service. I really want to know.

ummmm, don't install anything?

If a program has dependencies then those .dll's will execute. Some program like explorer will have shell extensions but mostly a program loads what it needs. You'd be better of disabling unneeded programs.

Originally posted by KairoAnnunaki:

Quote:
I have disabled the Plug And Play service.

If you disable Plug&Play service, you cannot use Device Manager (it is totally blank) until you re-enable the service...

Quote:

Plug and Play is a core operating system service, and therefore, it is best to not disable it.

Oh wait. I was thinking of something else.

But. The only services I am running are:

Event Log

Plug And Play

Remote Procedure

Windows Audio

I haven't had any problems at all. And I use many parts of my computer. I run Litestep. So I'm down to 47.2 MB on bootup. I'm trying to get it even lower. That's what a friend and I are doing.

And because there are dll's in svchost that don't need to be there, because they are un-needed such as w32time.dll - Windows Time Management, that's just taking up space in RAM.

Now I know you're probably going to still say, "Well then buy more RAM", I don't need to. But I do like to get the most out of what I have.

So I just want to know how you keep these dll's from loading.

Well you could rename them or search through the registry for them. I consider time sync very important....guess that's just me......

Or turn off the services you don't need - if the services aren't working, then the DLLs shouldn't be loaded.

Yeah, my friend tried re naming two dll's that were not needed at all. Windows threatened him of course, shut down, he had to go back through DOS, and re name them back.

Oh we've turned off all the services we can/do not need. This is what we both have running:

Event Log - Automatic

Plug and Play - Automatic

Remote Procedure Call - Automatic

Windows Audio - Automatic

Windows Management Instrumentation - Manual

Everything else is either disabled or Automatic.

Those are the only 5 services that run all the time on our machines. So we both know for a fact that the w32time.dll is not needed in the svchost.exe, thus that it is being loaded into that as we can see in CMD, tasklist /svc.

It is quiet odd to us that it's still loading un-needed dll's. Personally it tells me that Microsoft didn't design the OS to be stable at all, they only did it for the money and demand. More of the money, of course that's obvious as it is. This just proves it.

Well then, I suppose the only bet is the registry. I've went into the services folder in regedit. I see all the services, etc. So to see for myself I exported the Plug and Play folder. And deleted it. Of course, Windows threatend me as well. But it still worked as I thought it would. So I imported back in.

As far as I know, I do not. >XD

Where would I go about looking for the list in the registry to find these dll's that it wants to be loaded? I can't seem to find it so far. Too much registry ;P

Try this:

Open Date and Time in Control Panel.

Click the Internet Time tab.

Clear the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box.

I do not recall if this option is available if you have disabled the service.

Damned thing is still there.

I don't know. I'm going to see if I can find a list in the registry that permits these dll files to be loaded into the .exe's. We should really find out how, because this is a waste of RAM space. Probably a good 20 MB of RAM.

Oh my god I have tears of joy in my eyes. YES. I have found a way to get rid of these useless DLL files.

Is to find every instance of the word "w32time.dll" in the registry. And every instance of the world "w32time".

I have re booted and there is no threat to saying a service or driver has failed.

-----

svchost.exe 704 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,

RPCRT4.dll, rpcss.dll, msvcrt.dll,

WS2_32.dll, WS2HELP.dll, USER32.dll,

GDI32.dll, Secur32.dll, mswsock.dll,

wshtcpip.dll, CLBCatQ.DLL, OLEAUT32.dll,

ole32.dll, COMRes.dll, VERSION.dll

svchost.exe 748 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,

RPCRT4.dll, NTMARTA.DLL, msvcrt.dll,

USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, WLDAP32.dll,

SAMLIB.dll, ole32.dll, audiosrv.dll,

SETUPAPI.dll, WTSAPI32.dll, WINSTA.dll,

NETAPI32.dll, wmisvc.dll, OLEAUT32.dll,

VSSAPI.DLL, ATL.DLL, CLBCatQ.DLL,

COMRes.dll, VERSION.dll, wbemcore.dll,

MSVCP60.dll, esscli.dll, wbemcomn.dll,

FastProx.dll, NTDSAPI.dll, DNSAPI.dll,

WS2_32.dll, WS2HELP.dll, Secur32.dll,

wbemsvc.dll, es.dll, wmiutils.dll,

repdrvfs.dll, wmiprvsd.dll, NCObjAPI.DLL,

wbemess.dll, rsaenh.dll, PSAPI.DLL,

ncprov.dll, wbemcons.dll

----

I see it no more laugh... now to move on to the rest.

I noticed my RAM on bootup now went from 48.5MB to 48.1MB

And yes I know it must be absolutely critical I know what dll's these are, and I must know before I delete these that it is 100% certain I do not need them. Google is my friend.

This has inspired me! Anyone fancy a "at startup I use X amount of RAM competition?"!!

I'll start tonight and see how far I get.

Where's Alec? Surely this is his type of thing too ;-)

Quote:

Where's Alec? Surely this is his type of thing too ;-)

Not seen Alec at least in month or two... perhaps he is tweaking something. smile

<edit>
I got:
40 840 kb.

(If you meant this... smile )
untitled2.jpg
Finnish - English:
Vedoksen nimi - Process name (or whatever it is called).
Muistin käyttö - Memory usage.
kt - kb.
</edit>
[Edited by Wilhelmus on 2005-04-18 11:35:45]

Oh come on now. Show the other window, you know, the one with the handles, threads, commit charge, and etc so I can see if that's real ;P

I'll post the whole screenshot when I get home. Have do to that tweaking again... the system was rather unstable when screenshot was taken, even MS Paint crashed, right after the shot was saved. smile

I disabled all services, except Event Log, RPC, Windows Audio and Plug & Play. Disabled even firewall & AV (Of course, modem was powered off, when I did that). And all eye-candy were disabled... Perhaps now I'll disable Event Log and Windows Audio... smile