Frank

Via Boards + Win2k impossible ?

System:

AMD K6-450

DFI K6BV3+ (Via MVP3 Chipset)

192 Megs RAM

TnT2 Creative Ultra

---------------------------------------------

In the Middle of Scanning for Hardware he stand still but not freeze. I´ve tried it with "load fail save Settings" too. Powermenagement is complete disabled.

PLease what is wrong there ?????????????

a while back i had this problem. the best way to fix is if you have a network card remove it, that one worked for me most time in beta3. If you don't have one remove everything and disable everything else in your bios (devices like USB, unwanted com ports,and UDMA that is).

Seconldly if you installed a bios update to try and fix things, or is relatively new win2k setup will beleive you have a ACPI compatible MOBO. To disable advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) copy the i386 folder from cdrom to harddisk, and edit a file called txtsetup.sif using wordpad (before-hand unclick the readonly properties).

Find ACPIOTIONS and read the bit of text about acpi then diable acpi accordingly (I think you change the 2 to 0).

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 19 February 2000).]

>Where it says "PNP OS Installed" select NO

> "Resources controlled by" select MANUAL

> edit Txsetup.sif

sorry, was helpless. No Changes. In the Middle of the Hardwarescanning he stand still

and nothing else happens :-(

I tryed it WITH PCI/ISA Cards and WITHOUT. No Changes. "Assign IRQ for Video" enabled and disabled. Who can help there still ?

I hate WINTEL

nobody out there ??

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 21 February 2000).]

Spent a bloody age geting it to work, but I got a PC with an AOpen AX59 Pro board (VIA MVP3 based, not on the W2k HCL) to work by making sure ACPI function was disabled before you even install w2k. It *must* be disabled before the instal otherwise w2k assumes that the BIOS is ACPI compliant because it is fairly new, but it isn't. It seems most non-Intel based boards have shady BIOS's, so check this and re-instal, and all should work out okay, it did on this and a few other VIA boards I've worked with.

Good luck :-)

It works. BUT my Bios hasnt any Option to disabling ACPI. What was to do ? I edited the Txsetup.sif and disabled the ACPI Option there aaaaaaaaaaannnnnndddddd .... in this Moment during Setup where he ask if i would load other Drivers such as Raid, Scsi he said press F6. BUT i pressed F5 and i could choose "Standard PC" in the List. Where also was listed ACPI-PC. Finalize, this was my Solution to bring Win2k on my Board.

But one Problem is still there wat results, that my PC freez randomly for 2-3 Seconds and after he works normally away. then 2-4 secs freeze and again normally without rebooting. Freeze meanse that i dont can move the Mouse or anything. Id see in the Systemcheck Screen that the "Atapi Device responded to late".

Primary IBM DJNA 15,2 GB

Secondary NONE

Primary Seagate 4,3 GB

Secondary Mitsumi 32x

in Windows2000 Controlpane/Devicesmy IBM goes only in PIO Mode.

But my Seagate in UDMA and myCD in DMA Mode

The Bios Settings are all Auto.

Any Suggestions ??

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 22 February 2000).]

I have tekram mvp3 board

How long does it freeze during the hardware detecting process? I remember mine froze in the middle but it wasnt actually froze. I waited for awhile. maybe 5 mins and it kept going.

First of all diable UDMA!, and give win2k a try

There is bios error in 1.15/4.51 award bios' where because the bios knows about udma66 (ata 4 in startup usually (edit)), and allows drives's to use it, even if the motherboard chipset doesn't.

Secondly, if any of the HD's are UDMA 66 move all udma hd's onto the one cable, and make sure you have an 80-wire cable. If your other HD isn't udma33, then don't move your setup.

If you dont have the proper cable you will get data corruption due to noise, therefore do not use UDMA66. If you can't force UDMA33 in bios it must be diabled totally.

Technically the IBM if it's 15 GB it probably is UDMA66. I used to get an error similar to that, but got a bios update to diable UDMA66 in the bios. Now my UDMA66 drive is just in UDMA33 mode.

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 22 February 2000).]