Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stOn3r

./configure problems

alright i finally got SuSE 9.1 running smoothly, i downloaded the source of xchat, i untar'd it and when i try to run ./configure and it goes through trying to find a compiler it doesnt find any.

error says no acceptable c compiler found in $PATH.

now ive ran the update and everything is up to date, but some reason its not finding any compilers, pls help or i wont be installing any software lol.

From the look of this site suse 9.1 personal does not come with gcc or any ohter development tools. This gives some tips on gettting it installed, but if you read to the end you will see that he moved to Fedora core. If you plan to do a lot of installing from source that switch may be the way to go.

Suse does not include any compiler and development tools. To compile source code you need to to get the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and install it. Maybe you can find some RPMs around.

What about installing xchat from yast? Rather than installing from source, go to start-->system-->yast

Once in yast, pick "Install and remove software." Type in "xchat" and see if it will install, assuming that you have your cdrom disks or DVD disk with Suse available.