Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

dell win2k drivers

Hey people what are the deal with those dell win2k drivers? Are they just a glorified version of the regular WDM drivers that came with windoze?

Downloading them right now, hopefully at least 4 speakers support. Will report asa i installed them

OMFG! I just got home and saw that these are available. Those f****ing b****rds at Creative. Dell can release this (which I am greedily downloading as I type) but the manufacturer of the card will not release them. That burns my ass! Thanks Michael Dell and no thanks Creative :-(

I am going to do a system backup before installing these - this should be VERY interesting.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Doesn't work for me, it installed the program but it said i don't have a sound blaster live :-(

btw my sound card is a sb live value

Yes! Its Liveware for Windows 2000 smile.

You need to install the WDM driver (upddrv2k.inf) from \english\wdmdrv before you run setup.

So the big question is, does it work, do you have to have a dell system to get this to work and if not, how the hell did dell get ahold of this? Stuck at work, wishing i could test it myself. Thanks

Thanks many millions of times to Dell for the drivers. Now I'm off to install Win2k! Only reason I had Win98 on was because of the lack of Directsound with the modified Liveware 3 drivers.

Hehehe looked at the mirrors, and Bray, Ireland is there. That's less that 50 mile sfrom where I live.

Brendan

They work!

Hibernation even works with them and the system will resume from hibernation, but won't resume from standby. Otherwise it is Liveware 2.2 with WDM drivers.

------------------

Shrink

Philipp,

Thanks a lot, now I got 4 speakers support, one thing I don't understand is, why an oem manufacturer like Dell can come up with livewire 1.0 for W2K and Creative has to wait till march to release its own version 1 for W2K?

Well does it work...kind of for me. I've got the full SB Live...these drivers are for the Value edition. So I'm SOL trying to get my Cambridge Soundwork Speakers working with the digital din connection...have to use the Line-in...better then nothing though...still ticked off.

APV_SAV - the only reason I can think of is that Dell has a licensing agreement with Creative that prohibits Creative from scooping them on driver updates. Whatever it is, it makes Creative look like crap. I can't believe that I am getting better support from Dell than from Creative when I don't even have a Dell system!

------------------

Shrink

Once again, it isn't Creative's fault.

I hate repeatedly taking their side, but the truth is that only 50% of the Lives sold are of the value variety.

It is highly likely that the enhanced code for full Lives and Live Platinums is not yet complete, hence the delay in the driver release. Creative couldn't justify releasing a Live driver that supported only half it's cards.

What would they say? "This driver is for all our Live Value customers. The rest of you can wait 3 weeks!" Whereas Dell sells only the Live Value so it made sense to distribute them.

Come mid-march, I am sure the Creative drivers will be more feature complete. Plus they may even be a later version than the Dell software. LiveWare 4 is just around the corner...

no offense, what if after the wait, it is still the same driver and software but works with other live board. to be honest, I don't think it will take that long to release something like dell's to work with all live boards. provided Dell has already spent b4 hand to release what we got today.

DrSchmoe - these drivers work with the full SBLive, not just the Value. Put that in your pipe and smoke it <g>.

LOL

------------------

Shrink

Hmm.. this is off topic, but I wonder if liveware 3 will work with the drivers supplied with the dell oem drivers. I've got a bp6, and i'm very surprised everything(well almost everything) works. hmmm...

It just seems strange since the installation of the oem liveware and liveware 3 are identical(even the error messages), and the magically oem driver update solved the liveware1 problems. maybe, just maybe, it'll solve the problems of liveware 3...

any thoughts on this?

How about you try it and let us know <g>?

C'mon - I dare ya!

------------------

Shrink

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrink:
How about you try it and let us know <g>?

Hah.. well, I did try it. i uninstalled all traces of lw1(except those lovely wdm drivers), and started up the lw3 that's been sitting on my hd since forever. and bam! it stalled. I said before, i have a bp6.. BUT i could've sworn i was able to get the setup installed before with rc2 or 3. I even remember the problems with missing .dlls whenever the launcher or mixer tried to start. the same errors lw1 had when I installed it and forgot to install the wdm drivers included with the dell drivers.

dammit. so what know? i just realized the wdm drivers have 4 speaker support, and i really only wanted eax support from lw, AND since eax is broken in lw1(was really screwed up in halflife), I've decided to forget lw1 and just used the wdm drivers. yay. quad speaker support with out the overhead of old lw programs...

anyone else willing to give lw3 a shot?

And how about ripping only the WDM drivers

with 4 Spkr support???

You know, not everybody have Good conections?

God, i just installed the driver from the dell sblive pack.. totally b0rked my machine.. wouldnt even boot into safemode till i physically removed the card from my machine.....

Mr. Yellow,

If livewire 3 works with Dell's WDM driver, dell would have release livewire 3 instead of livewire 1.

It's actually listed in the install notes when you start the setup routine as Liveware 2.2 released July, 1999. LOL. Kind of makes me wonder of Dell didn't get ahold of WDM drivers, then recode LW2 to work with it.

------------------

Shrink

Win2k only finds drivers for the Value card in the dell lw pack... but since someone mentioned that they work with the full cards, i tried installing tem anyways. Well win2k won't boot now, it reboots before it hits the login prompt. If i don't install the value drivers then the dell lw software doesn't work (mixer, launcher, and sound apps freeze). Am i screwing the process up or something?

Quote:
Originally posted by APV_SAV:
If livewire 3 works with Dell's WDM driver, dell would have release livewire 3 instead of livewire 1.

Hmm. That logic is totally valid. but there can be many reasons why they've stuck with lw1(err. 2.2). since these updates are suppose to be for dell machines only, maybe they've only been able to internally certify lw2.2 to work on all their platforms. Maybe creative doesn't want them to use lw3 in hopes that when creative comes out with their w2k compatible drivers, it'll have lw3. or.. well, i dunno. there's always a little optimism(and experimentation) on our part.

I'm still trying to remember what i did previously to get lw3 to successfully(but not functionally) install on my bp6 system. Anyone of the same smp boat remember?