Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Popper

2 OS's and 2 HDD's

Hi gang,

I have a Dell pc w/80g ATA HDD running WinMe.

I recently performed a clean install and used a HDD with XPpro installed on it to save my files to.

All seemed well until I reinstalled the XP loaded HDD back to master and moved the files over to the slaved Me HDD. It seems that the XP OS has changed some settings on the Me HDD and has added a few files and folders such as "Archives" and "System Volume Information" < !?!

Should this be happening? I re-performed the clean install and I'm hesitant to try it again before gaining a better understanding. The bios is set to boot from the ARMD-HDD then IDE-HDD.

TIA

The System Volume Information is normal for XP installs on all HD's that have been formated and are recognized by the OS. I think it's part of the System Restore function as well.

I do believe that ME will just ignore this folder.

I'm not sure if Archives gets created however, I don't seem to recall this one...

Thanks for the reply jmmijo.

More or less I'm wondering what other useless data is installed on the ME HDD during this process and if any program files are modified as well. I will actually find out this by running Ashampoo uninstaller before moving ME to slave, but hoping someone would step up and say "no worries" or "don't do it"

WinMe is the first OS I have experience with, so I hope you all understand the concern (marriage).

Thanks again,

Kevin in La

I'm not aware of any app/program modification, other then that one hidden folder.

I'd say, don't worry about it....unless it was a virus...hmmm smile

The only things that may have been changed are two folders. Recyler (delete information) or System Volume Information....

Go ahead and do whatever.....