Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sparrow1963

HELP - XP boot problem !!!!

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working off XP professional, had a slight problem due to spyware so downloaded antivirus / spyware which cured the problem - everything ok - THEN.......... brilliantly decided to do a system restore to date before the original problems started. Now whenever I boot up all I get is a the XP logo then black screen and flashing curser. Same happens in safe mode - just safe mode written in the corners of screen - nothing else. Booting using last last successful boot doesn't work either - same black screen.

I don't have the XP disk either.

I've got the 6 floppy disks that take me to the recovery console but haven't got a clue what to do.

Anyone any ideas PLEASE before the rest of my hair is pulled out !!!!!

I have the exact same problem, except my cursor doesn't flash. I tried installing overtop of my old XP, but that didn't work.

I did the system restore cuz I tried to install a CD burner but the drivers made the comp unstable, even after I uninstalled the drivers.

I really don't want to reinstall my comp again... I just did it 3 weeks ago...

Good to know I'm not alone !!!!

Have you tried pressing F8 at start of booting up process then choosing to continue booting using last successful process ?

frustrating isn,t it !!!! Been sat here all bloody day trying to figure out what to do to bring back XP - my wifes university work is on there - I'm dead if I don't bring it back. I've learnt now to back up the system !!!!!!!

mm. I don't have that problem, I have linux on my comp and it works fine, and I can see my windows files from it, so they are there (Can't write to my windows disk from Linux tho, not even under root... frown:().

If you can not get XP running and REALLY need some files off the system then I suggest you go download BartPE.

You can then get into the drive that will not boot to either put the files on another drive, floppy or burn to cd before you format the main drive for re-install of XP.

Ummm, try seeing if you can get into safe mode....or last known good. Or if you can get into recovery console, use chkdsk /r /f

Also, try fixmbr.....

if none of that helps, I do know of a few easy fixes...but....

If overlay (Ie installing xp on top of XP doesn't work) I know of something else

Did I just repeat myself? If you can find a 3rd party utility that can utilise system restore...then you should be okay.

I know with ERD commander I can use system restore to fix this problem.

k I tried Safe Mode and last good, but what did the rest of your post mean?

I've backed up my files and I'm just going to do a format and reinstall.

He meaned that you use your XP CD to boot up your computer.

The CD/DVD needs to be first booting device, configured via BIOS.

And when the "Windows XP Professional Setup" window displays, select "R" for Recovery Console.

You will be prompted to select the Windows installation to repair (usually "1" ).

Enter Administrator password when required.

Then you'll get to command prompt, "C:\>".

At the command prompt write chkdsk /p /r and press Enter.

When you want to reboot and exit Recovery Console, type exit and press Enter.