Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
misaal9

no sound available

i have upgraded my sound driver - Crystal cs4281 from Driver.com. when i right view my Hardware Profile, there is nothing wrong with my sound card ( there is no yellow explamatiom mark against it). still i cannot hear any sound.

click here to view figure...

http://www.geocities.com/rohit_diwakar/misaal9.htm

help!

Does the WAV file exists in "c:\windows\media"?

Try other sound scheme from the Schemes box.

Can you use any other program (e.g. media player, winamp) to play wav,mp3,mid,etc.. ?

none of the mp3 files work. only videos (no sound, though)

yes, "c:\windows\media" exists.

Check volume and mute settings:

The volume setting for one or more sound devices might be disabled or set too low. Use the following steps to adjust volumes to their correct levels:

In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.

In Windows 98 and ME, click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.

In Windows XP, open Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sound and Audio Devices.

In Windows 98 and ME, open Sounds and Multimedia, and then click the Audio tab.

In Windows XP, click the Advanced button under Device Volume.

In Windows 98 and Me, click the Volume button under Sound Playback.

Remove all checkmarks from Mute boxes at the bottom of the Master Volume window and adjust the volume setting slide bars to their highest positions. Close the Master Volume window and test for sound.

On the Audio tab, select the devices you want in the Preferred Device boxes.

Click the Use Preferred Devices Only check box to select it.

Quote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142006
NOTE: If you are using Windows 3.x drivers for your sound card, the Preferred Device fields are unavailable.

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition

Try replacing drivers. Go back to old drivers and see if that fixes it. If it does, try finding other, new drivers.

These I found by using google:
http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/32/32359.htm
Are these same as you have downloaded?

These drives do not have setup program, so you'll have to install them manually via device manager.

Unzip the zip for example to c:\soundcard-drivers\.
Remove the sound card device from device manager.
Reboot Windows.
It will redetect your card and it should ask what to do.
Select have disk and browse to folder, where you extracted the drivers.

i visited the link as mentioned above, got the zip file. i then uninstalled my already installed driver and restarted my PC. when i went to install the driver again, the system prompts me to locate "Pw5017.cat" file (the file that has been provided with the zip file is a "Pw5018.cat" file and so this file is not being accepted).

thus i cannot install this driver.

also, i don't think there is anything wrong with this driver. i feel so because i had been using this driver on previous occassions as well and it worked fine. in fact when i reinstalled windows, i had my sounds working for me. this problem started only recently.

i have installed the same driver (which i had earlier - using Pw5017.cat). there is still no sound available.