Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drussell

Need Help. Cannot access email on windows xp service pack 2

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new computer that came installed with Windows XP Service Pack 2. I can't seem to access anything that requires a log in or is an https:// such as my comcast email account or my online banking. I can get to the bank site, just get "page cannot be displayed" when trying to log in. Same thing on comcast, get to the home page just fine, but again, once I type the log in, Page cannot be displayed. I know it has something to do with this new pc since I don't have this problem on our other (older)pc's. I do not have any sites being blocked and can browse everywhere else on the web. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

drussell

I have the same problem as drussell. However, I don't have a new computer, and up until sometime last week I was able to access my Comcast mail and other sites that require a login. I no longer can! I also have the service pack 2 installed with automatic updates enabled. Did Microsoft push something out recently that may have caused this problem? I tried the solution provided by Wilhelm, but I already had the Windows Firewall turned off. I'm running Black Ice instead. Please Help!!!

It sounds like an encryption problem. Perhaps there was a recent fix to IE that changed the way IE worked. Do this:

Bring up IE

1) Click on "Tools"

2) Select menu item "Internet Options"

3) Click on the "Advanced" tab

4) Scroll down to the "Security" section

5) Make sure SSL 2.0 and 2.3 are checked

If that doesn't help, come back and let us know what version of IE you are using if it isn't 6.0

I have SSL 2.0 and 3.0 checked in the Security Section. I don't have a 2.3. I tried looking in the Properties of IE, but could not find my version number. The only number I could find is in the IE Homepage URL and has 5.5 mixed in with a bunch of other characters that mean Greek to me. Thanks for your help. I really need it!!

This is what Microsoft suggests:

This problem may occur when the use of Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) encryption algorithms is enforced through the Computer Configuration Security Options policy.

Some Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) implementations send a zero-length packet as the first message over an SSL connection. This behavior occurs only when a block cipher such as Triple Data Encryption Standard (Triple DES) is used, and is intended as a workaround for a known block cipher chaining vulnerability. The Internet extensions for the Wininet.dll file does not interpret this zero-length packet correctly.

WORKAROUND

To successfully connect to a secure Web site, disable the system policy that requires FIPS-compliant algorithms. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click Administrative Tools.

4. Double-click Local Security Policy.

5. Expand Local Policies.

There also seems to be a hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

And finally they suggest turning off the popup blocker

Turn off the pop-up blocker

Internet Explorer SP2 includes the ability to block pop-up windows. This new feature may block some Web pages. To turn off the Pop-Up Blocker, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, right-click Internet Explorer, click Internet Properties.

2. Click the Privacy tab.

3. In the Pop-Up Blocker section, click to clear the Block pop-ups check box.

4. Click Apply.

5. Click OK.

6. Click Security Options.

7. In the Policy list, double-click System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.

8. Click Disabled, and then click OK.

9. Restart your computer.

One other thing. Run your anti-virus and spyware software first before you try any of the things above.

Hi Sampson,

I do have IE 6.0 installed. Did as you suggested in the first part of your response. Turned off the pop-up blocker also. Rebooted and I still can't get to my email in Comcast. Made sure the thing was "disabled" in the Local Security Settings file. Went to the Microsoft link you provided, but did not see anything called a "Hotfix". Since my Windows XP is a copy from a friend, I have no part numbers or keys to get help from Microsoft.

My wife tells me this access problem started when I turned the wireless capability of my Linksys router on the other day so I can work from home. I have Black Ice running on my PC. I got it from the Boeing company. I can't get IE to work without turning the Application Protection in Black Ice off first. It seems to think practically everything is a Trojan Horse virus that is trying to access my computer, so I have to disable it to get anywhere.

Inadvertantly Black Ice may have established a rule about your Secure Websites that you may need to change.

1. Double-click the Black Ice Defender icon in your system tray (in the lower-right hand corner of your task bar).

2. Go to the Tools menu and select Advanced Application Protection settings.

3. In the Known Applications tab, scroll through until you find the following Filenames:

(your secure account or Application relating to it)

IEXPLORE.EXE

4. If any of these applications have the word Terminate under the Application Control column, double-click the word Terminate and change the word to make it blank.

5. Click Save Changes and click OK.

The EXPLORE.EXE Application Control column is already blank. But I have no idea how to find out what my "secure account or the applications relating to it" are. Thanks again for your help Sampson.

I also have the same problem as Drussel. I just built a new computer, I can visit sites but a "page cannot be displayed" page comes up whenever I try to access my yahoo or google email, or any site that requires logging on (including logging on to this forum). As far as I can tell the windows firewall and the Nvidia firewall (which came with the motherboard) are both turned off.

I'll try to change the local security settings like you suggested (I assume you mean disable everything). Your link to the "hot fix" just brings me to the general windows support page.

Please help, I feel as If I just threw away a ton of money on a computer I can't use the internet on and I'm very stressed out about it.

Thank you for any help.

I disabled the system cryptography, pop up blocker is disabled, and the firewall is disabled, and I am still having the same problem.

Can anyone help me?

johnkilo, I am assuming that you are using IE or a browser that uses its components. Because this is specific to pages that have some kind of security check or logon, after you've checked out checked out your security section to make sure that your SSL are properly checked, sometimes you can force IE to put up the prompt for the login:

-Right click on the IE logo on your desktop.

-Select Properties from the drop down menu.

-Click on the Security tab

-Click on the button labeled Custon Level

-Scroll down to the bottom of all the options until you see User Authentication and under it Logon.

-Click on Prompt for user name and password. Then, click reset, OK.

Then, bring up IE and see if it works.

I tried what you said and it didnt work. The same problems happen with Firefox as well. I can't get into any secure site such as emails on both google and yahoo, instant messengers, and most sites that require any kind of log on. I was on the phone last night for 3 hours with Microsoft tech support. I've tried a lot of the suggestions that people have posted on sites Ive found on google who seem to have this problem as well.

I have the latest Internet Explorer. I have 128 bit encryption. Ive erased my cookies, history and temporary internet files. I did stuff in the command menu in DOS with .dll files (I'm no expert so I had no idea what we were doing). Firewalls are all turned off.

Please keep the suggestions coming if you have any, I really appreciate it.

johnkilo, do you have Adblock running perchance? And in IE do you have things like yahoo.com as trusted sites or sites not to restrict?

I don't have adblock on, as far as I know. The patch wouldn't work for me, I have Service Pack 2 installed, and when I tried to run it, it said I needed Service Pack 1.

I think its a bigger problem than something with Internet Explorer, because the same thing happens with Firefox as well. I also can't get on AIM or any instant messenger.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

I had assumed because this was a new computer, it would probably not have any spyware, but this is acting like a computer that has been infected. If your firewall is disconnected, which is what usually messes up internet access, then, it might be best to download and install Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and HijackThis to be on the safe side.

Hi, well done on a great site. I also have the "page cannot be displayed error" on Win XP Service Pack2 IE6 and Mozilla firefox. I have tried everything you guys suggested with no success. I did find however that restoring my Pc to an earlier date (to before restore point named "software distribution service 2.0") solved the problem temporarily. IE6 works then and my e-mail untill I reboot the first time. After that I am stuck with the same problem. I think that the "software distribution service" entry in the restore log as something to do with it. Re-loading the operating system also works, but does'nt really tell me what is the solution to the problem. Please help.