Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imbob

dialup modem under fedora core 3 (FC3)

Hello to everyone.

I'm having a problem with my HCF modem (using a Linuxant driver) under Fedora Core 3. Using the driver, it worked under RH9. I installed the new driver for FC3 and the driver reports everything normal. But trying to get Fedora to use the modem it does the following (which I can hear):

1.pick up phone, dial, do nothing.

2.hang up and repeat #1 infinatly.

I tried an external modem (28.8k) and Fedora can't communicate with it correctly either. I Tried minicom with both modems. With the external modem I could send it commands, but responses would not come back to me. The internal modem wouldn't do anything. "echo ath1 > /dev/modem" will get me a dial tone on the internal modem.

I suppose my question is: are the dialup scripts/methods different in FC3 from RH9? Any ideas would be geratly appreciated!

-Jon

Witht he internal modem, the problem is more likely the kernel in Fedora and it's use of acpi via the bios.

What bootloader are you using?

Try passing the acpi=off command in the bootloader to see if this corrects the issue. See the linuxant HCF FAQ page, item #12 located on this page.

If you don't know how to do this, let us know what bootloader that you are using and we will try guiding you though this.

wow.. that worked.

I am using Grub and on bootup I just added acpi=off to the kernel parameters and now I'm responding to you over the very modem that had problems.

Thank you very much for your help! Now I guess I need to figure out how to make this permanent. I don't think it will be all that hard to do though.

I dfon't have grub installed in my Fedora install, but just look for the following;

get into the file manager in superuser mode. Navigate to the /boot/grub directory.

Open the menu.lst file (right click on the file...open with kate)

Add the command at the end of the kernel line, so you have something like;

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hd0... acpi=off

Your menu.lst file may look somewhat different. Just make sure the command is last and that there is a space between the last entry on that line and the added acpi=off command.

Save the file and try it out.

I am noticing however that the system doesn't seem to recognise when the connection is established..

I'm using Gnome, and there is a nifty applet called "modem lights" to connect and disconnect your modem. It shows 3 states: disconnected, connecting, and connected. It doesn't show the connected state even if the modem is connected (I can use a web browser successfuly). Also, I'm trying to use Firestarter 1.0.3 and it doesn't detect my modem either. So, enabling the firwall kills my connection. Any ideas about this issue?

Thanks again!