Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
l0st

is it the modem?

I've been trying to solve this problem for a week now, and I just don't get it...

I bought a linksys router to split my roadrunner connection between an iMac and my pc running xp sp1. when I set it up, I got a connection on both computers, but for some reason, the connection was really slow on my pc. google timed out, it was so slow. yet the mac is fine! I figured it was windows, so I reinstalled. that did nothing but waste 4 hours of my time. so I returned the router, thinking it was defective, and bought a dlink. same thing happened. I even went out and bought a usb-to-ethernet adapter to see if that would help, but to no avail smirk

could it be the modem? I've read on this site that that could be it.

my modem's a toshiba pcx 2500; router's a Dlink DI-604.

I'd call my isp for help, but they hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the word 'router'. apparently, they don't offer help on network problems, or anything... (just a guess, since they've hung up on me twice now)

thanks for your time, and this site. I'm finding it to be very useful and entertaining

l0st

Yeah it's sad that so many ISP's do this but I guess in a way I can see why, it's cost's them money wink

As for the issue at hand, did you try forcing your PC's NIC to a specific speed rather then use the AUTO option ?!?

Sometimes you have to force the speed to 100 Full Duplex or 10 Half Duplex etc. to get the connection to work properly.

Also, when both machines are connected, are you using the DHCP function of the NIC ?!?

Basically this means that you have the NIC settings to get an IP address automatically rather then use a static IP address. Static's require that you enter in DNS server info as well wink

Also, check the cabling too, perhaps you have a faulty or incompatible cable between the router and the PC.

I don't think it's the cable, because I've tried directly connecting the modem to the pc and that worked. manually setting the speed...will try that in a few minutes.

and yes, they're set for dhcp

thx for the advice!

Hopefully it's not the router as I use a Linksys model and share the entire house with it, usually 3 or 4 machines on at the same time wink

well, it seems to be working fine when set to 10mb full mode (I'm on the pc now). now, if only it would work on 100...oh well. bittorrent doesn't need 100mb of bandwidth, and neither does shared music.

now to figure out how to browse the network on os9...:P

thanks again for the advice! laugh

You may want to see if you can find some updated device drivers for that NIC, especially if it's an onboard device. Perhaps the updated drivers will resolve the AUTO media speed issue for you wink

Actually, I believe the original user did state they reloaded windows fresh. Anyway, I'm at a loss why you are thinking setting the nic at 100mb will do anything. All that is going to do, is allow communication between the computer and the router up to 100mb speed. Then from the router to the dsl/cable modem probalby set up at 10mb or less. Since most people in the states don't have anything beyond 5mb broadband.

Though, I shake my fist at a friend in Japan. He has DSL that is at about 20mb/s at about $20 a month. Damn him!

Anyway, the 10mb/s and 100mb/s is only going to affect his internal network. UNLESS, this guy has OC3 to his house or something.

Oh, wait, he has it corrected....never mind...

I hear that is true on some ISPs, like @home. I never had a problem with direcway (satelite)....but, because I've never had a problem, I guess, doesn't mean others will not have a problem.

Yes, it is a crazy world.

to alec:

my mac problem and this were happening at the same time. I had to fix this in order to fix my mac..which I've accomplished smile

it might be a virus though...I didn't think of that, and I really should've, cause I remember reinstalling xp one day at a lan party and got hit with blaster within a minute. lol, my friend's box, who spread the worm to me, brought down the whole network for 4 hours! XD

anyways.... I'll either install norton corporate and scan, or run visit trend micro's site and do an online scan.

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:
Though, I shake my fist at a friend in Japan. He has DSL that is at about 20mb/s at about $20 a month. Damn him!

damn him, indeed! lol :P

I recommend when installing win xp that you make sure you are not connected to the internet. If you are I promise you will be infected upon the first reboot. I have three classrooms that I image on a regular basis and we decided to run a test one day for the hell of it. we installed a winxp image with no SP's and upon rebooting and letting the machines sit for five minutes 13 of my 21 computers in that class were infected.....

download sp2 for xp and burn it to a disk and disonnect the network cable, install wix xp reboot and apply the service pack. Make sure the firewall is turned on (in xp) and then reconnect the network cable and carry on.

sorry I know I am off topic but that is my recommendation for installing xp at any time...

S

The best option for installing new is to create/burn a slip-streamed SP2 into your install media.

I personally use THIS site for helping out with this kind of thing wink