Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
docmal

Abit BE6 clean install ACPI howto?

Allright, I had a clean install of windows 2000 and I have a BE6. For some reason it installs as a "standered pc" and doesn't install ACPI support. Now when I went to change it there where two options that looked right. "Uniproccessor ACPI" or "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) ..." I chose "Advanced Power ....blah blah" (the longer one) Anyway when I restarted, windows wouldn't even boot into safe mode. So Im screwed and I have to reinstall. Anyway I was wondering exactly how to get ACPi to function properly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi

I had the same problem on my abit BP6.

But the bios I had earlier didnt support ACPI correct so when I installed win2k it just set up as a standard computer (MPS or whatever)

Then I found a beta bios that was suppoed to have fixed the problem, but it didnt work when I just switched in the devicemanager.

I couldnt even startin safemode.

After doing a clean install, suddenly the machine was ACPI in the device manager and my machine finally shut down atomatically.

I would say that if the windows installation doesnt set the machine as ACPI your bios doesnt support this 100%.

Try to find new bios, and make a new install

I read that someone also hacked the setup.ini file, but I think that the setup choose ACPI if it can.

Us bp6 users have a fine site called: www.bp6.com

I dont know if there is a similar site for your card

Or try the abit site for a bios uppgrade

hope this help

-------------------

Vidar

[This message has been edited by Galilee (edited 20 February 2000).]

Thanks but I finally figured it out! FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT WANT ACPI INSTALLED READ THIS!

If you KNOW your motherboard is ACPI compliant and windows doesn't do this:

Use your windows setup disks to reinstall when the message that says "press f6 if you need to install third party scsi... blah blah blah" PRESS F5! then when that disk is done loading a windows will pop up. Scroll up in the window untill you find the "Advanced configuration and Power Managment (ACPI)-PC" entry and select it. Now reinstall or repair windows 2000. Note that I reinstalled so I don't know for sure if repairing will fix it. But I have heard it does. Also remember to have acpi enabled in the BIOS before you do this.

!!! JUST CHANGING THE COMPUTER TYPE IN DEVICE MANAGER WILL MOST LIKELY RENDER YOUR CURRENT INSTALL COMPLETELY USELESS!!!

The reason this works is because of the way windows 2000 checks if your system is acpi compliant. They just check for a few boards that are known to work or not work and if the board is not in the list it checks the manufacture date -not the bios revision date. And a-bit boards are older than the date specified but where ahead of there time so they work but are not detected.

I would have to dissagree on that last statement.

I have a BP6 and windows2000 have never automatically chosen ACPI. But after a bios upgrade, it choose ACPI.

So I believe it is actually checking.

By forcing the setup to use ACPI It can go very wrong, it the board is not ACPI compliant.