Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janfebmar

hehe..

strange enough it uses debian..

on an ntcompatible site..

i know there are sister sites of this one though.

linuxcompatible or something.

but still its some irony in it :P

yeah. i understand him myself.

i use slackware on my nix box.

kinda new to it though, but it seems fair enough.

but on my main computer i gotta use windows, otherwise it becomes to

fiddly to run entertainment software.

when im home i prefer to relax. running a server and other boring stuff i do on my nix box.

gotta be that way. at least for me.

until everything works without a fiddle on linux ill keep to windows as Pri, OS.

Originally posted by janfebmar:

Quote:
until everything works without a fiddle on linux ill keep to windows as Pri, OS.

I use Slackware too, and for the very reason you state. Granted, it takes a little longer to get your box running the way you want with Linux, but after you do, it will run forever without breaking! smile

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:

Quote:

I use Slackware too, and for the very reason you state. Granted, it takes a little longer to get your box running the way you want with Linux, but after you do, it will run forever without breaking! smile

no no.. i use windows for games and such smile

never run any games in linux. makes it unstable.

heh.

dont have much sparetime. in the army.

your wrong with teh : it will run forever without breaking!

hardware tend to get broken no matter what operating system your running.

hard-drives, PSU's, nort-bridge fans, motherboards, Ram and graphic cards. these tend to get ruined.

they should make hardware that last forever. hehe wink

Also, granted the hardware will break before the OS does... wink Just a week ago I had to replace the fan on my Nvidia video card. I guess I'm lucky in that all the games I like to play run almost perfectly under Linux using Winex/Cedega. Team-Fortess, Half-Life and its mods, Starcraft and Trespasser all work great. I do have an XP installation at hda1, (C drive), but that's only cause Partition Magic won't run under Wine... smile

i just run server apps on the nix box.

games and other fun stuff on windows. as simple as that.

linux is good because you can run it on a really crappy PC, even though my server isnt a crappy pc.

running a http server and a webmail server, plus ftp sites require a

fair good amount of CPU cycle power and memory.

im having some problems with it still though. the write function to Fat32 partitions , is still crippled.

but hey smile as long as windows supports everything cool there is no point changing..

more and more linux distros cost money now too.

Hmm, that's odd. I've never had a problem writing to Fat32 partitions from Linux, only to NTFS. Some of them cost, like SuSE Professional and RedHat Enterprise. SuSE Pro 9.1 cost me $90.00. But the best, Slackware doesn't cost us anything! smile

writing to NTFS is FUBAR, but writing to FAT 32 wasnt stable.. hehe.

so i lost one partition. it got corrupted.

strange enough. didnt lose any important data though. was just a streaming partition.

Quote:
strange enough it uses debian..

Actually, it not that strange. Linux/*nix is pretty common on webservers, just check your favorite websites on http://uptime.netcraft.com/.

The main reason why choose Debian over Windows Server 2003 is that NT/Linux Compatible currently based on PHP/MySQL. The PHP port available for Windows is not nearly fast and stable than the Linux counterpart. I run some tests couple of months ago on Windows Server 2003/IIS 6.0 and had a few stability issues with the PHP ISAPI module. I assume the only way to get Windows Server on par with the current Linux install is to port the entire site to ASP.NET

still. you gotta see the irony here?

i know i run webserver myself.

on nix.

i dont want to spend much money on windows server, because i dont make any money on the website.

no ads or nothing. but i could have used windows server if i had the cash.

the irony wasnt security reasons..

just running a linux server on a windows compatible site.

guess you didnt get the fun in that :P

i know there are alot of exploits on all OSes, no OS will be secure.

its just that hackers/crackers target Windows mainly because its so widely used.

if linux takes over the market in some years, linux will have as many xploits as windows have ever had.

well. i cant prove that, but thats the most logical thing anyways.

agreed.

all i do with my pc is having fun, is that making websites, running servers and stuff. dont work with computers.

heh, im an officer too.

not in bagdad though.