Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxrulesjhvd

what emulator

i am a 14 year old who just got linux. i love it and now hate windows! but it is my first time and i do not know which emulator to use or how to get it

ps i have red hat 9

Welcome to the Free Software world! Why do you use RedHat 9? It's abit outdated. You might want to get APT from www.rpmfind.net to update your OS since i believe up2date no longer works on RH9.

What emulator are you referring to? I assume you are talking bout a Windows emulator to run your Windows programs. In that case you would want to go to www.winehq.org and download WINE. It's not really an emulator as the name suggests (Wine Is Not an Emulator). It creates a fake Windows environment within your GNU/Linux OS. You can get the RedHat 9 RPM from the downloads section and install it by going

rpm -Uvh wine-20050111-1rh9winehq.i386.rpm

Once you've got it installed, then just type in wine in the terminal to run it for the 1st time. It will automatically create a fake Windows drive and install the Windows system files. To install software, you just do this in the terminal

wine name of install .exe

For example, if you want to isntall Quicktime, then you cd into the directory where you downloaded the Quicktime installer into and type in

wine iTunesSetup.exe

Do post any other questions you have here.