Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thestein

SMC Barricade DHCP Server works for wireless but not WIRED XP clients

I have a wireless SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router and a Dell Inspiron Laptop 8600 running windows XP Home.

I also have a laptop running Windows 98 and a desktop running windows XP. The problem is that the wireless clients are able to connect and obtain an IP address with no problems. However, as soon as you try to connect an XP computer via ethernet cable, it gives a limited connectivity error and won't obtain an IP address. (and ends up giving you the useless XP IP address ).

If I connect an ethernet cable to a non windows XP machine (such as my windows 98 laptop), it works fine (obtains IP address).

All TCP/IP connects are set to obtain IP address and DNS automatically. The configurations for the ethernet adapter and wireless adapter are exactly the same yet for some reason the ethernet connection won't get an IP address... Wireless works, wired does not...

Weird, huh?

Any updates to this? I have the same SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router and 3 computers with XP, and all can connect wirelessly but not wired. they used to work both wired and wirelessly until less than 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.