Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
amit123guy

Gta Vice city problem:\

Hey All,

When i start the game,i can play well for a few minutes then i get a blue screen error, I have an Intel desktop graphics card and latest drivers,Direct X 9.0c and Windows 98 SE,

The only thing i can reed on the bluescreen is, Error: An error has occured in VxD... blah blah blah, before my PC restarts.

Could anyone help me??

Please shocked

Quote:

I have an Intel desktop graphics card

I suspect that this card is not enough for GTAVC... then again, without card's model number or specs, this is just guess... smile

Quote:

GTA VC System Requirements
Minimum Hardware
800 MHz Intel Pentium III or 800 MHz AMD Athlon or 1.2GHz Intel Celeron or 1.2 GHz AMD Duron processor
128 MB of RAM
8 speed CD / DVD drive
915 MB of free hard disk space
(+ 635 MB if video card does NOT support DirectX Texture Compression)
32 MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce" or better)

Sound Card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers Keyboard & Mouse

Recommended Hardware:
Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon XP processor 256(+) MB of RAM
16 speed CD / DVD drive
1.55 GB of free hard disk space
(+ 635 MB if video card does NOT support DirectX Texture Compression)
64(+) MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce 3" / "Radeon 8500" or better with DirectX Texture Compression support)
DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card with surround sound

i have INTEl pentium 4, and the card is an 82845G card, i cant read all info on the bluescreen,it crashes soon after. ;(

Then the card should be compatible.

Before you start Vice city, go to Start->Run and execute "Drwatson", this will start Dr. Watson diagnostic tool.

Perhaps you can use its log file to find out the complete error message.

Quote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q275481

When Dr. Watson is enabled, an icon is displayed on the taskbar.

If a program fault occurs, Dr. Watson generates a snapshot of the software environment. Click the Details button in the error message box to view the information gathered by Dr. Watson.

To generate a log file, double-click the Dr. Watson icon on the taskbar. Dr. Watson gathers information about the operating system, and then a Dr. Watson dialog box is displayed.

When Dr. Watson is loaded, click any tab to move out of the text box. The Dr. Watson window closes if you press ENTER.

To view the advanced tabs in Dr. Watson, follow these steps: 1. Double-click the Dr. Watson icon.

2. On the View menu, click Advanced View. The following tabs provide detailed information about your system that you can give to a support technician:

• System: Includes information that you would see on the General tab of System Properties.

• Tasks: Includes information about the tasks that were running when the snapshot was taken. This tab also includes information about the program, the version, the manufacturer, the description, the path, the type, and the program that this program is related to (when this information is available).

• Startup: Includes information about the programs that are configured to load during Startup. This tab includes the program name, and information about where the program was loaded from, and the command line that is used to load the program.

• Kernel Drivers: Includes information about where the Kernel-mode drivers are installed, including the name of the driver, the version, the manufacturer, the description, the likely path, information about where the driver is loaded from, the type of driver, and the program that the driver related to (when information is available).

• User Drivers: Includes information about the User-mode drivers that are installed, including the name of the driver, the version, the manufacturer, the description, the likely path, the type of driver, and the program that the driver is related to (when information is available).

• MS-DOS Drivers: Includes information about the MS-DOS drivers that are installed.

• 16-bit Modules: Includes information about the 16-bit modules that were in memory when the snapshot was taken, including the name of the module, the version, the manufacturer, the description, the likely path, the type of driver, and the program that the driver is related to (when information is available).

• Details (this tab is only displayed when Dr. Watson has captured a fault): Lists the events that occurred before and during the fault, in progressive order.

If you experience a program fault, and you want to use Dr. Watson, follow these steps:

1. Try to reproduce the fault to verify that it is not a random failure.

2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click System Tools.

3. Click System Information, and then on the Tools menu, click Dr. Watson.

4. Reproduce the fault.

5. Click Details in the Program Fault window.

6. View the Diagnosis window to determine the source of the fault.

If the issue is intermittent or not easy to reproduce, put Dr. Watson in your Startup folder so that it is always running. The Dr. Watson dialog box includes a text box that you can use to enter information about what you were doing when the issue occurred. You should provide information about the programs that were running, and the steps that resulted in the program fault.

NOTE: After you type the information in the text box, on the File menu, click Save or Save As to save the file. If you only click OK in the Dr. Watson dialog box, the information that you enter in the text box is not saved.

When a program fault occurs, the Dr. Watson log file is automatically named Watsonxxx.wlg (where xxx is an incremented number). By default, Dr. Watson log files are saved to the \Windows\Drwatson folder. To save the information generated by Dr. Watson, click Save on the File menu.

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:
Then the card should be compatible.

Before you start Vice city, go to Start->Run and execute "Drwatson", this will start Dr. Watson diagnostic tool.

Perhaps you can use its log file to find out the complete error message.

The CD for my game was not working on my PC....so i got it installed from my network and am now using a cracked version of the game executable so i can play without the CD..... can this cause any problems.....

And by the way..... when i start DR. Watson this is displayed

--------------------

Display Driver for Intel Graphics Accelerators does not appear to be a Windows 95 Plug-and-Play compatible display driver.

Module Name: ialmdrv.drv

Description: Display Driver for Intel Graphics Accelerators

Version: 4.14.10.3732

Product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows95® & Windows98

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Does this mean i need to update the drivers??? or??....

And after the game crashes no error message is displayed in The Watson log file.

When the bluescreen appears it says press a key to continue...but it restarts without me doing anything.....

Any more sugesstions???

-----------------------------------------------------------------

VISIT MY WEB-SITE AT http://www.dbegmore.co.nr/ or http://www.dbegmore.tk/ and http://www.worldred.uni.cc/

Visit my forum at http://www.dbegmore.proboards44.com/

LIVE AND LET LIVE laugh

Copy the contents of following quote box to notepad and save as "fault.reg". Then double click it and let windows to import it to registry.

Quote:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault]

"LogFile"="C:\\FAULTLOG.TXT"

Reboot.

Now start GTAVC. If it faults, then it SHOULD write the fault information to "C:\FAULTLOG.TXT".

Quote:

cracked version of the game executable so i can play without the CD..... can this cause any problems.....

I read from some forums that pirated version cause errors...

Can you get replacement for your CD from store you bougth it?

Quote:

Does this mean i need to update the drivers??? or??....

You can try update your drivers.

Quote:

You can try update your drivers.

But i have updated my drivers even before i installed my game, there are no new drivers available from INTEL.

And i did get a replacement from that store but my PC was still un-able to read that disk. A blue screen appeared like:
Error Reading Drive G:\. The disk might be scratched or damaged.

My CD-ROM(Samsung)does not need driver updates....

Can it be that my Gfx card is running out of memory???
If so, can u tell me how i can set more memory via BIOS???

Thankxxx....

On a side note, I ran Vice City fine on this PC, and it sounds similar to the original poster's system:

Dell Dimension 2400, 2.4GHz Celeron (845GV chipset)

128MB DDR SDRAM w/ Intel Integrated Graphics >-^

As for setting more video memory:

In the BIOS setup, I changed the AGP aperture setting in this PC to 64MB (up from 32MB)... the game was sluggish, but it ran just fine other than that. As soon as we purchase more RAM, I'm upping that to 128MB to be on the safe side. In any case... not to mention piracy intentionally, but I also used a NoCD crack, and for me it performed slightly better than reading off the CD did.

It may be that the your CD drive itself is dirty... beyond that, I can't think of any reason it won't play for you.

Khal

If isn't original GTA VC i can help you ! :D:D:D

laughlaughlaughlaugh

Just try to crack again GTA and all well be okay i think! winkwinklaugh

Quote:

Error Reading Drive G:\. The disk might be scratched or damaged.

My CD-ROM(Samsung)does not need driver updates....

Does your CD drive read other CDs?

Yaa..my CD-drive can readother Cd's all of them....

Today i tried playing the game with CD in another one of my network's PC's.

Originally posted by Khaldore:

Quote:
On a side note, I ran Vice City fine on this PC, and it sounds similar to the original poster's system:

In the BIOS setup, I changed the AGP aperture setting in this PC to 64MB (up from 32MB)... the game was sluggish, but it ran just fine other than that. As soon as we purchase more RAM, I'm upping that to 128MB to be on the safe side. In any case... not to mention piracy intentionally, but I also used a NoCD crack, and for me it performed slightly better than reading off the CD did.

It may be that the your CD drive itself is dirty... beyond that, I can't think of any reason it won't play for you.

Khal

The game play but,

I did get up AGP aperture size to 256 MB..but the game did'nt run.... i dont think it a problem with the graphics...

I suppose its some kind of VXD error in the registry.. can someone give me more on that... The original bluscreen says VxD ---- .... may be it's somekind of static VxD in the system registry.....

Thankx...

Originally posted by miha:

Quote:
If isn't original GTA VC i can help you ! :D:D:D

laughlaughlaughlaugh

Just try to crack again GTA and all well be okay i think! winkwinklaugh

Miha you seem to be the master of piracy..... get otta this forum.. we have never dealt with piracy here and we never will!

And as for your Fraps ..... it does'nt work...!!!

Originally posted by amit123guy:

Quote:
Originally posted by Khaldore:

Quote:

Khal

The game play but,

I did get up AGP aperture size to 256 MB..but the game did'nt run.... i dont think it a problem with the graphics...

I suppose its some kind of VXD error in the registry.. can someone give me more on that... The original bluscreen says VxD ---- .... may be it's somekind of static VxD in the system registry.....

Thankx...

.VXD's can be many things. To actually troubleshoot the problem effectivly you need the name of the .vxd. Most likely it's graphics/sound related but that's just a guess.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
.VXD's can be many things. To actually troubleshoot the problem effectivly you need the name of the .vxd. Most likely it's graphics/sound related but that's just a guess.

Could it be a problem with the file msmouse.vxd ???? Cause i found out that when i use the mouse this error seems to occur.

i have a copied cd of GTAVC installed but when i try to open it it says that application can not start because file mss32.dll was not found

what should i do?

MSS32.dll is the Miles Sounds System. You can download the file off the net...or reinstall the game. Assuming that the copied CD isn't from a corrupted original.

for anyone asking about the MSS32.DLL Grand Theft Auto Vice City problem, spread this answer around:

if you downloaded a no-cd crack and iso's or whatever, you take the crack from the iso or the disk you burned it on and replace the original execution file that the program installed(the one in the program folder). DONT run a replacement dll, the dll that the program installs is fine. for those of you it worked for may not be running windows XP sp2. for those of you who are running sp2, this is your answer: you may have noticed that depending on where you got the crack, it was probably named the same title as the execution file in the program folder, which was for good reason. Just toss the crack in the folder and click YES to replace the old .exe file. You will, however need the original dll that the program installs during installation.

dont worry you wont get any Wrong CD crap once you fix it. whether or not you have winamp does not matter, and unless you continue to recieve problems there is not need to use software that fixes the dll problem. you also dont need to uninstall Winamp. if you do have more prob's then uninstall GTA-VC completely and reinstall following the directions.

your VICE CITY will now run directly from the crack so change your shortcut accordingly.

this fix will probably work for any XP sp2 users or anyone who could not fix the game with a replacement dll