Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wicked101

As good as it gets

Lets spice this up a bit, dig deep down and think about it.

If you had all the money in the world and you were able to buy any PC component that is avail. at this stage and build it up yourself to have the fastest and most powerful PC ever that will have any BENCHMARK for breakfast, what would it be.

Explain in detail every piece of hardware you will get smile

Actually, I would custom design the cooling system myself, it would be a heat-exchanger system based around liquid nitrogen and would cool a central radiator like in a standard combustion engine in that the coolant would circulate around from the heat sinks that are attached to vital components, such as the CPU, GPU and chipset, north and south bridges.

There would be a central large cooling radiator for which I would have a one or more 120mm, thermal fans so that the ambient air temp stays frosty wink

The other thing I would do would be to have an elevated floor for my computer room. The floor tiles could be lifted to reveal a crawl-space where tempurature controlled AC is feed into and thru my custom rig and out thru the top and back behind the walls for a return thru the heat exchanger once more.

Of course the custom chassis would be sealed so only the cooler air gets into the bottom of the chassis before the hotter air gets exhausted thru the top. I will also isolate vibration and noise via dampeners and dampening material to attempt to eliminate as much fan noise as possible.

I'm thinking I could make up both a P4 Extrem Edition and an Athlon 64-FX rig. Of course with the Athlon I could go with an SLI config or get Gigabyte's new Combo Motherboard + Dual-GPU graphics package wink

Yes I suppose I'm [censored] myself, but hey, with age comes wisdom laugh

Anyways, back in the USAF, I was maintaning a C-130 Flight Simulator, yes the real one with the 6-point motion base and computer gnerated graphics. The simulator was controlled by (3)Three Perkin-Elmer 8-32D's which were actually mini-Computers with those huge floor standing CDC hard drive units wink

The cooling was an elevated floor that was cooled via a heat exchanger, a huge outdoor radiator that had chilled water flowing over it. Now I think they just call them chillers.

I'd have at least a dual CPU rig with SLI and some GeForce 6800 Ultras for starters. Probably 2-4GB of RAM too. Probably 2-3TB (and I could do it pretty easily too with 400GB drives available. Get the largest watt PSU that PC Power & Cooling has...

I'd use some LN2 cooling setup...for everything, but if something couldn't work, I supposed I'd do a peltier setup and just toss in a 300-400W power supply just to run the peltiers.

Originally posted by Brian Frank:

Quote:
I'd have at least a dual CPU rig with SLI and some GeForce 6800 Ultras for starters. Probably 2-4GB of RAM too. Probably 2-3TB (and I could do it pretty easily too with 400GB drives available. Get the largest watt PSU that PC Power & Cooling has...

I'd use some LN2 cooling setup...for everything, but if something couldn't work, I supposed I'd do a peltier setup and just toss in a 300-400W power supply just to run the peltiers.

The only problem is that I've yet to see a dual-Athlon 64 system, however there are plenty of Dual Opteron motherboards out there but I think they are all AGP slot only.

Now if either AMD or nVidia comes up with a dual-PCI Express slot board to support dual-opteron, then I think you'll be cooking with hot EVOL wink

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz Box 1024KB, Socket 939

RAM:

4 x 1024MB Corsair CL2.0 PC400 (Twinx1024-3200C2Pro)

Cooling:

For CPU, N&S bridge etc. - ThermalTake Aquarius III (A1681)

For RAM - Revoltec RamFreezer Gold Edition

For Graphics - AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System

Mainboard:

MSI A939A nF4 K8N Neo4 Diamond +WL(MS-7100-010R)

Graphics:

Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 Ultra PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology

Sound:

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround with Dual Firewire (IEEE® 1394)

Speakers:

Creative® 7.1 THX® GigaWorks™ S750

Hard Drive:

2 x 3.5" WD740GD Raptor 74GB 10000U/min 4.5ms 8MB, S-ATA 150

PSU:

CE/ATX, 600 Watt Enermax EG701AX-VH(W)SFMA aktiv PFC, S-ATA, 24pin, regelbarer Lüfter

or

Antec TrueControl 550 550W ATX (761345-07555-8)

DVD:

Writer - Plextor PlexWriter PX-716A white/black

ROM - LiteON SOHW-812S 8xDVD-Dual 8xDVD-R/8xDVD+

i guess if i had all the money...

i would really like an sgi onyx4 and then pay ms and other software peeps to develop a nice gui for unix, software and some fps games

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
"And, there goes $5,000++" (if not more! )

Wicked, that'd be a HECK of a system... @ least by today's (01/11/2005) standards!

smile

Hmmm, to be exact it'll cost €4627.57, I dont know what that'll be in $ smile

Quote:

* Thing is though, we can come back here 3-5 years later, & laff @ anything we put up in this thread most likely!

(The reason I say that is because if you take a look @ the "Battle of the Computers" thread in this section WAY early on in it? Well, you'll know what I mean... )

APK

I know what you mean, if you think back of when the P1 came out after the 486 and you could not believe how much faster it was, hee hee, now if you see a P1 you cant help but think to yourself if it'll be possible to float if you throw it in the sea smile

Well, to be honest, it will float, for a little while, a guy I worked with at the Ponds (its a mineral company that floats on water) we had a PC (P1 or 2, cant remember, loooong time ago) that we had to take back to the office and while we were walking it got stuck against the railing of the walkway (still on the water), when he kerked it free it slipped out of his hands and went flying into the water, all we could do was laff and look at it floating for a couple of minutes before it started to sink slowly. We watched it till it went so deep that we could not see it anymore, then we went back to the 4x4 and drove back to the office (without the PC, but with fond memories thereof) smile

Quote:
ALOT! Are those euros? Probably around what I said, maybe a BIT more (iirc, the euro is worth more than the dollar is! Times DO change... )

Yebo, it Euros.

Quote:
LOL! That PC "sleeps w/ the fishes!"... (mobster saying in the U.S.A. )

smile

APK

Haha, thats what we told our boss when she asked where the PC was :), the only diff. is that we did not put a cement cast on the PC smile

And they never found the PC, by now its about 30m under the sand with trees, plants and new wildlife on top, cause they have finished mining that section.

Hee hee, in a 1000 years they will put it in a museum and say it’s a prehistoric artifact, P1 120 with 16MB RAM, and it’s the equivalent to a modern day matchbox:)

Originally posted by Wicked101:

Quote:

Yebo, it Euros.

I miss hearing/reading names like Deutsch Marc and Pound Sterling now frown

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
I miss hearing/reading names like Deutsch Marc and Pound Sterling now frown

erm...Pounds Sterling still exists 8)

Personally, I think that the US has become more arrogant over the last few years - various reasons lead me to believe this, like the Iraq war (on which I now hear that the US has tacitly admitted that they won't find WMDs), the refusal to sign up to Kyoto.

As an atheist and living in a largely secular country, I also cannot understand America's rampant Christianity, to the point where people are saying that it was a major reason for Dubya winning the election. I think that it is this religious fanaticism that has caused much of the animosity from the Muslim nations.

Another thing I can't understand as an outside is the apparent control that companies have on the legislative process - that lobbying can make or break whether a law is passed.

Now, I'm not saying that the UK is perfect - after all, Tony Blair is just George Dubya's lapdog - but I don't think we're in as bad a state as you guys.

These just *my* opinions, no one else's, and I may be flamed for what I believe - but they are just that: my beliefs.

Rgds

AndyF