Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azn88

Computers unable to communicate

i have connected two xp computers onto a network and have run the network setup wizard. however when searching for the other computer, it is unable to find it. the only signs of communications between the two computers is that when the other computer turns on, it notifies me that a network cable is now connected and if the other computer on the network is turned off, windows notifies me and says that a network cable is now unplugged!!!

Please help ME!!! i'm dying for a network!!!!!

thanks for your suggestions but my computers dont even communicate on the ping tests.

i agree 'Stupid Windows'!

your so lucky your lan works!!!

If the two PC's are connected together with only the Network Cable without a switch/hub then you will need a Crossover cable, I've seen where Windows also says a network cable is plugged in with a normal Patch cable. To make sure that you have a Crossover cable check THIS SITE.

If you do have the crossover cable then check with IPCONFIG /ALL like APK mentioned and make sure that the 2 IP's are in the same range and that the SUBNETMASK's are the same, it's very important that they are. Windows should detect the settings from the other PC and use the default IP's, unless one or both PC's have been set up with static IP's, then you could have a problem.

To check for static IP's do the following:

On the taskbar next to the time, you will see that little icon with 2 computer monitors on them, thats the one that says that the network cable is now connected, click on it, it should pop up the "Local Area Connection Status".

Click on the "properties" button, in the next window, double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is ticked/selected.

Do this on both machines. Restart both machines then run IPCONFIG /ALL again to get their new IP's and ping each PC to see if it works.