Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

emulator

Hi just woundering (because im sure ive seen it somewhere before) if there is a windows 98 2000 xp emulator i know of wine but i mean something that realy boots up just like windows but in a linux window, i saw something like this a long time ago or im a just imagining it ??????? thanks

You may rerefering to Win4Lin which enables you to run non-NT Windows as an application straight from your Linux desktop. It makes Windows much more stable than when it runs natively. It takes a while to warm up, but once it does, it will run Windows apps just as fast as under native Windows. The only apps that won't run under Win4Lin are DirectX games.Win4Lin costs.

Here's a screenie of Win4Lin in action way back when I was running Mandrake 9.0...

DapperDanDesktop.jpg

Yes. You must have a legitimate copy of pre-NT Windows. Once Win4Lin is installed, you have to put the Windows CD in. Win4Lin then copies the files from the Windows CD, then there is a regular Windows installation, complete with 75 reboots and all. wink

It will ask for the product key and will not work unless you provide it. This works well for those of us who still have our pre-NT disks.