Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The Sims 2 Problem Solving Thread

First av all sorry for my english smile .....

I had the same problem with DirectX9o.c and the RADEON 9200 SE on a win98 SE.

The grafic card is supported by the game as we know, but when I started the sims 2 this window pop up:

Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

When I started the diagnostic for the DirectX i could see the error that the Direct3D was not activated.

I did a lot of things fore I got the solution but to make this short .... I did update the Via KT600 chip with the last version "4 in 1 driver" and now the game works just fine!!!!

Hope this will help some of you smile

shocked Hello everyone, I also have bought this sims 2 for my pc. And everyday since christmas have been re-running, upgrading, checking, downloading and re-installing so many things i just wanna throw my computer away. Nothing and i mean nothing has worked. I can start the game and pic the scenerio to play but as soon as the screen gets to the neighborhoods and it's time to play, i keep getting a blue screen that says my nvidia fx 5200 graphics card is causing an error, something about a physical memmory dump. SO FRUSTERATED!!!!! and of course i e-mailed ea games tech support, im on the 4th day with no response....where are they?, why did they make this game if they aren't going to post the updates?

I am running windows XP (service pack 2)

512 mb ram, A NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, with and authentic AMD athlon thunderbird 1000 Mhz cpu. I also have a creative sound blaster pci sound card.

P.s. All hardware has been upgraded. Even the bios for the main board. I don't understand, if anyone can help plz let me know.

frown

Originally posted by thatsteveguy:

Quote:
Hey dosfreak, mind if I make a recommendation for your thread header here. Can you ask them to also post their system specifications. As you can see there are allready quite a few posts with TOO LITTLE information in order for us to help them properly.

Also for anyone else posting a problem please let us know what kind of computer you have, what type of video card, how much ram, what type of sound card (that means 'On Board sound' or a seperate sound card ..IE soundblaster audigy etc).

We cannot help if all you tell us is the game goes all funny what do I do??!!!!!

so if you have posted allready please provide the info I just asked for and you will have more chance that someone will help.

thanks

S

shocked Hello everyone, I also have bought this sims 2 for my pc. And everyday since christmas have been re-running, upgrading, checking, downloading and re-installing so many things i just wanna throw my computer away. Nothing and i mean nothing has worked. I can start the game and pic the scenerio to play but as soon as the screen gets to the neighborhoods and it's time to play, i keep getting a blue screen that says my nvidia fx 5200 graphics card is causing an error, something about a physical memmory dump. SO FRUSTERATED!!!!! and of course i e-mailed ea games tech support, im on the 4th day with no response....where are they?, why did they make this game if they aren't going to post the updates?

I am running windows XP (service pack 2)

512 mb ram, A NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, with and authentic AMD athlon thunderbird 1000 Mhz cpu. I also have a creative sound blaster pci on board sound.

P.s. All hardware has been upgraded. Even the bios for the main board. I don't understand, if anyone can help plz let me know.

Hi jayp2083

Do you have any other problems with your computer? Do other applications or games crash or is it just Sims2 that causes the bluescreen?

Do you know what chipset your motherboard has? Also, do you have any other pci/isa cards in your computer?

Originally posted by sparvo:

Quote:
First av all sorry for my english smile .....

I had the same problem with DirectX9o.c and the RADEON 9200 SE on a win98 SE.

The grafic card is supported by the game as we know, but when I started the sims 2 this window pop up:

Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

When I started the diagnostic for the DirectX i could see the error that the Direct3D was not activated.

I did a lot of things fore I got the solution but to make this short .... I did update the Via KT600 chip with the last version "4 in 1 driver" and now the game works just fine!!!!

Hope this will help some of you smile

This card is supported however a 9200 se card is only a Direct x 8.1 card and does not support the DX9 pipleline

here is a handy guide for all those wanting to know what your card supports and what it does not

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

S

Originally posted by mnas:

Quote:
Hi jayp2083

Do you have any other problems with your computer? Do other applications or games crash or is it just Sims2 that causes the bluescreen?

Do you know what chipset your motherboard has? Also, do you have any other pci/isa cards in your computer?

x) hhhmmm, i have a gigabyte mainboard (GA-7ZX,(rev. 5.0), I have a supraMax 56I modem pci card by blue sonic, and the error causes my computer to re-boot instantly i don't know how to get that info. I have no other problems with my pc, or other games...i have all of the sims games, making magic on down they all work. My motherboard has a via VT8363/skt133/km133, but it says it's a kt133 via chip-set. Other than that the only other thing is the nvidia graphics card, Geforce FX 5200.

I have been attempting to run SIM2 since Christmas. I have more than recommended system requirements, and I am still having problems.

I have talked to both EA Games and ATI (Radeon) about my issues, but neither can offer a solution - very strange.... The best they can offer is "Download the latest drivers" - which I have done.

With regards to the DirectX problems... I have found that if the acceleration speed on my graphics card is set too low (say, to BASIC, as what was recommended by EA Games) I get the DirectX error. If I incease the speed to "FULL" acceleration - the error goes away. The game need to use it, so the system must have it activated to work.

If you get past that error, and actually get into the game, perhaps you can help me solve the problem I am having with missing textures and anomolous flashing lines everywhere.

Thanks.

After I installed the SIMS 2. When it trys to load, I get the error message of "The Application has crashed, The Application will now terminate." I have looked through the forums to see if there is anything like that and I did not see anything, But if i missed it, I am sorry for repeating this question, I am very frustrated And am in need of some help if anyone knows what can be done to help this error, I will also add the system info, My Pc is well equiped to handle this game.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks to all that help others here, and gets nothing in return. You are some great people.

Stormy04

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/30/2004, 02:49:17

Machine name: RENAY

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.040919-1003)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: n/a

System Model: n/a

BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, ~1.5GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

Page File: 145MB used, 1200MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: RADEON 9200 PRO (Omega 2.5.97a)

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. (Omega 2.5.97a)

Chip type: RADEON 9200 Series AGP (0x5960)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5960&SUBSYS_40541458&REV_01

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Dell E771p

Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6497 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/30/2004 18:12:50, 221184 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys

Mini VDD Date: 12/14/2004 14:51:50, 873984 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1A20-11CF-896E-5E60A0C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x5960

SubSys ID: 0x40541458

Revision ID: 0x0001

Revision ID: 0x0001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: Not run

D3D7 Test Result: Not run

D3D8 Test Result: Not run

D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: VIA Audio (WAVE)

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3058&SUBSYS_11061043&REV_50

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ac97via.sys

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.3622 (English)

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Date and Size: 8/28/2002 14:00:56, 84480 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0x0

Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Modem #0 Line Playback (emulated)

Default Sound Playback: No

Default Voice Playback: No

Hardware ID:

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 81

Type: Emulated

Driver Name:

Driver Version:

Driver Attributes:

WHQL Logo'd:

Date and Size:

Other Files:

Driver Provider:

HW Accel Level: Full

Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------

Sound Capture Devices

---------------------

Description: VIA Audio (WAVE)

Default Sound Capture: Yes

Default Voice Capture: Yes

Driver Name: ac97via.sys

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.3622 (English)

Date and Size: 8/28/2002 14:00:56, 84480 bytes

Format Flags: 0x0

Description: Modem #0 Line Record (emulated)

Default Sound Capture: No

Default Voice Capture: No

Driver Name:

Driver Version:

Driver Attributes:

Date and Size:

Format Flags: 0x0

-----------

DirectMusic

-----------

DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS

DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002

Acceleration: n/a

Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port

VIA MIDI External Port, Hardware (Kernel Mode), Input, No DLS, External

VIA MIDI External Port, Hardware (Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, External

VIA Audio (WAVE), Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal

Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal

VIA MIDI External Port [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, External

VIA MIDI External Port [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Input, No DLS, External

Test Result: Not run

HI

nobody2341

I had the same damn problem...

I have the dvd edition, i dont know i you have it but the cd should be fine.

ok

whaen the message popped up i simply went: my coputer,dvd dreve right click and selected open. then brouse trough it untill you find its own thingnie dvd edition has the derex there is a setup in there .

DON"T just left clic on on if you do that you will just open the auto.

That solved the problem for me

Hi Dosfreak. I went and read all the other thread also about my problem and I cant seem to see anything with the problem i am having, If you know of anyone or have read anyone that has had the same problem, I would greatly appreciate it if there is any way you could point me in that direction, Since my last post, I have updated my graphics card and my VIA Chipset. I have been also going back and forth with EA about all this, But it seems that they know just about the same as I do about the error. I have seen you post all the boards and help alot of members, thanks for taking your free time to help us that dont know much at all and look for help wink

Any help at all would be greatly appreaciated.

Stormy

Hi,

I am having the same problem as most people here are and I am woundering if installing that thing on something homes I think would do anything to my computer 'cause I am not the most knowledgeable person about computers. smile

Alright....I've ready everyone else's problems and mine is different. I have windows XP...the game installed fine and played fine for a little while...now it loads and freezes and I have to turn off the power and try again.

The error report is saying something about RADEON IGP 320M is the problem. I don't even know what that means, but it's ticking me off.

Actually I don't really know how to work these types of sites either so if you could email it to me, that would be great. My email address is andrea_huddleston@yahoo.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon....

Originally posted by boredinbelding82:

Quote:
Alright....I've ready everyone else's problems and mine is different. I have windows XP...the game installed fine and played fine for a little while...now it loads and freezes and I have to turn off the power and try again.

The error report is saying something about RADEON IGP 320M is the problem. I don't even know what that means, but it's ticking me off.

Actually I don't really know how to work these types of sites either so if you could email it to me, that would be great. My email address is andrea_huddleston@yahoo.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon....

Hmmm, a little more info on the error would be helpful.

If the game loads and the freezes it possibly points to heat/memory issues....but if you are getting an error about your RADEON then it's hard to say without knowing what exactly the error said. I'm guessing this is a laptop? I wonder if the integrated Radeon has temperature monitoring capabilities......

Best guess for now would be to install the latest drivers for the Radeon.

OK, so I too am getting the same DirectX 9.0c message that everyone else is getting. I have tried just about everything that everyone has said to do. I can't get TS2 to work. I am dying to play this.

Here are the specs for my computer:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Intel® Celeron® Processor 1 GHz (w/128KB)

Intel 810 Chipset, 100 MHz FSB

20 GB HDD

128 MB SDRAM

56K* ITU v.92 ready PCI internal Fax/Modem

12x Max. Write CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD

Keyboard, Mouse, Stereo Speakers

2 USB ports (1 on front bezel), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, 1 Midi/Game on front bezel, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front

Intel 82801 AC '97 Audio

Intel DirectAGP 3D (810 shared)

Do I have the right specs? I would almost rather hear that I don't and that I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to installing this game. If I do have the right specs how do I fix this problem short of throwing my computer out of a window and buying a new one?

SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

;(

I was wondering if anyone knows the latest version of Catalyst from ATI that is out there.

ATI's website says the most recent driver for Windows XP and a Radeon card is 4.12

Other websites and even the SIMS2 release notes mentions a Catalyst 4.5.

Who is right... and where would I get the most recent driver if not from the manufacturers website???

I have another problem than everyone else here, lol. No directX crap this time -_-.

The problem is, everything works fine, except when i try to build walls, plant trees, it doesn't do anything. When I try using chairs & tables etc, it does work. Only the interior works. I use a no cd patch so I don't have to use the cd, but I don't think these things load from the cd right? So how can I fix this? Cuz this is a huge problem, I can buy an existing house and redecorate it, but I can't build my own house...

An ironic joke would be that the problem is also due to the directx problem, lol.

Ok, I have a problem with my Sims 2 and so far, no one can help me!

I bought the game months ago and found out I couldn't play it because I didn't have a video card for it. So I bought a video card, it's an ATI Radeon..It's a great video card! So now my game started to work, only It would freeze after 10 minutes! So I thought I needed more ram, I bought another 256 of ram recently, so now I have 512 of ram! It STILL froze after 15 to 20 minutes!! I tried playing the game without sound to see if it was my sound driver, the game ran for about 25 to 30 minutes, so I thought It was my sound driver. But then, as soon as I saved, it froze again! Most of the time, it's when I save that the game freezes! WHY does it do this? There's NO reason for it to freeze!! I have lots of space, memory and ram, plus a really good video card!! WHY?? Can you help me PLEASE!!?

Thank you!!

Chantal

Originally posted by Chii:

Quote:

I bought the game months ago and found out I couldn't play it because I didn't have a video card for it. So I bought a video card, it's an ATI Radeon..It's a great video card! So now my game started to work, only It would freeze after 10 minutes! So I thought I needed more ram, I bought another 256 of ram recently, so now I have 512 of ram! It STILL froze after 15 to 20 minutes!! I tried playing the game without sound to see if it was my sound driver, the game ran for about 25 to 30 minutes, so I thought It was my sound driver. But then, as soon as I saved, it froze again! Most of the time, it's when I save that the game freezes! WHY does it do this? There's NO reason for it to freeze!! I have lots of space, memory and ram, plus a really good video card!! WHY?? Can you help me PLEASE!!?

Thank you!!

Chantal

A game freezing does not mean that you need more RAM. What it does mean is that something is wrong with your computer. When it "freezes" can you press NUMLOCK and see the green light? If you see the green light then it usually means that your computer didn't freeze, just the game. (If so press, CTRL+ALT+DEL and end the SIMS 2 task) So what we need to determine is if the computer itself freezes or just the game.

If it is the computer then I would recommend removing all memory except for one stick and then trying your game. If it hangs on that memory stick then take that one out and try another one.

Originally posted by WtFudgE:

Quote:
I have another problem than everyone else here, lol. No directX crap this time -_-.

The problem is, everything works fine, except when i try to build walls, plant trees, it doesn't do anything. When I try using chairs & tables etc, it does work. Only the interior works. I use a no cd patch so I don't have to use the cd, but I don't think these things load from the cd right? So how can I fix this? Cuz this is a huge problem, I can buy an existing house and redecorate it, but I can't build my own house...

An ironic joke would be that the problem is also due to the directx problem, lol.

that is what happens when you use the pirate version of the game. If you are using a no cd-crack you will also get this problem.

either replace the no-cd crack with the valid EXE file or go out and buy the game.

S

Originally posted by eca:

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone knows the latest version of Catalyst from ATI that is out there.

ATI's website says the most recent driver for Windows XP and a Radeon card is 4.12

Other websites and even the SIMS2 release notes mentions a Catalyst 4.5.

Who is right... and where would I get the most recent driver if not from the manufacturers website???

The latest driver is the 4.12 . we are into a new year so expect the 5.1 drivers to be out sometime this month.

also what Radeon do you have?? Radeon is a brand name covering many different ATI cards unless you are using the very first RADEON card in which case it is known as just a radeon card.

s

I have a Radeon 9200SE.

If the latest driver is 4.12, why can I search for version 4.5 on the 'Net and get hits?.... Interesting.

I'll run with 4.12, but so far it still does not fix my texture anomalies.

Thanks.

Originally posted by eca:

Quote:

I have a Radeon 9200SE.

If the latest driver is 4.12, why can I search for version 4.5 on the 'Net and get hits?.... Interesting.

I'll run with 4.12, but so far it still does not fix my texture anomalies.

Thanks.

getting hits on the 4.5 is not unusual. you can probably get hits on most driver versions.

now the texture flickering. First off a couple things. your video card is a stripped down core of the 9200 line. most are 128 bit cards but yours is 64bit. also it supports DX 8.1 and does not support DX9 specific features.

Now it should still run the game,you mentioned the video acceleration slider earlier. have you tried it half way instead of all the way? and if so did you get the error like when it was set all the way down? if not then try the game and see if you still get flickering.

Now sometimes this can be caused by a bad refresh rate (is Vsync enabled?), or it can just be new drivers installed over old drivers or there are old files kicking around and that can muck up a game sometimes.

Now you might want to completely uninstall the drivers (go into add remove programs and see if you have an ati driver cleaner listed and uninstall it , it will take out EVERYTHING ati related) if that cleaner is not there then just unistall the driver the regular way , reboot and when it detects the video card just install the standard VGA driver. Then install the ATI 4.12 drivers and see if that helped.

S

I have a Radeon X800 Pro and I will sometimes get flickering in some games etc but most times they are actual driver issues that get resolved in the next update etc.

Originally posted by Chii:

Quote:

Thank you!!

Chantal

do other games freeze? it could also be a heat issue.

now I have noticed that sometimes when saving the game seemed to freeze up on me but if I waited a while it would be okay. Next time it happens (when saving) try waiting a bit to see what happens