Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The Sims 2 Problem Solving Thread

I 2 am getting problems playing the Sims 2, after about 5 mins of game play I keep getting an error message that my graphics driver isn't compatible when I have all the requirements and the lastest driver (it's a new PC) can you help please?

Suz

It says i need directX 9.0c but I tried to download it i tried 14 TIMES!!!!!!!!! its really annoying me and i thinking of taking it back ;( somebody help me before i go crazy!!

when i try to start sims 2 it comes up with a message saying " CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re start the game"

what software do you think they are talking about? Please anyone know how to solve this problem tell me!!!!!!

Originally posted by kma90:

Quote:

when i try to start sims 2 it comes up with a message saying " CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re start the game"

what software do you think they are talking about? Please anyone know how to solve this problem tell me!!!!!!

Have you installed Alcohol 120/52, Daemon Tools, etc. ?

If you have, shutdown those.

Error: "Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Resolution I

Click Start->Run, in the open box write "dxdiag", without quotes. Goto Display Tab, make sure that DDI version is 9.

If it is not, buy a new graphics card and make sure that it supports DX9c.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-02.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Resolution II

1. Set the display to 16-bit color. To make this change, follow these steps:

a. Click on the Start menu and select Settings, Control Panel, and then double-click on Display.

If using Microsoft Windows* XP: Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel, "Switch to Classic View" if the category view is shown, and then double-click on Display.

b. Select the Settings tab.

c. Change the Color Quality (Color Depth) to 16-bit color.

2. Run the game with the -w switch which forces the game to run in a window. To add this switch, follow these steps:

a. Right-click on the The Sims 2 game and left-click on Properties. You can do this either on the game's shortcut on the desktop or on the game's entry in the Start menu.

b. Add a space and -w to the end of the Target field, so that it looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSBin\Sims2.exe" -w

Note: The actual path may vary depending on where the game was installed. Make sure that the -w goes outside the quotation marks and that there is a space between the last quotation mark and the -w.

c. Click OK.

Resolution III

Click on Start.

Click on Run...

Type dxdiag into the box.

Click OK.

Click on the Display tab.

Find the DirectX Features box.

The first feature is DirectDraw Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.

The second feature is Direct3D Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.

The third feature is AGP Texture Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.

Once all three are enabled, close the window.

---

Error: "CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re start the game"

Uninstall/disable any CD/DVD emulation software(alchol, daemon tools, etc.).

---

Troubleshoot: Adjust the hardware acceleration.

Windows 9x:

Click Start, select Settings and choose Control Panel.

Double-click the System icon. The System Properties will open.

Click the Performance tab.

Click the Graphics button. The Advanced Graphics Settings window will appear.

Locate the hardware acceleration adjustment bar. (It will show the words None and Full at each end.)

Move it to Full.

For the new setting to take effect, click OK and restart the computer when prompted.

Launch and use the program.

Windows XP/2000:

Close programs and all windows and return to the desktop.

Right-click a blank area on the desktop and left-click Properties from the menu that appears. The Display Properties will open.

Click the Settings tab.

Click the Advanced button.

Click the Troubleshoot tab. A window will open with the display adapter type identified on the title bar.

Locate the hardware acceleration adjustment bar. (It will show the words None and Full at each end.)

Move it to Full

For the new setting to take effect, click Apply and then click OK.

Click OK again to close the Display Properties window.

Launch and use the program.

---

NOTE: If the issue remains, repeat the above procedure and move the hardware acceleration slide bar to the left one additional position. (Do not select the NONE setting, which is the setting to the far left.)

---

Others

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eaga...;p_new_search=1

smile

Alright ive been playin The Sims 2 for awhile and now when i try to start it, it says "The instruction at "0x00000010" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "read"" ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling and it still says the same thing.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Anyone in a situation to use the -w switch on a graphics card that is not supported by the Sims 2?

or how about using 3danalyze Software T&L?

Would test these myself but am currently visiting my parents.

I did the -w thing and hooray!!! it worked. Thank you to whomever posted that solution!!!

Hello, and good day.

I had the exactly same problems and nothing above anywhere in these forums worked for me. Until I tried this:

step 1: Create restore point

step 2: Go to Start > Run and type Regedit

step 3: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

step 4: Delete or modeify the Keys CSDBuildNumber and CSDVersion

Example of modify by name - (CSDBuildNumber -> CSDBuildNumber_old), same to other

Step 5: Install sp2 upgrade by downloading it using this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;DisplayLang=en

(Its is the network install file so its pretty large and its a must download!! Do not use windows update!!!):

And just like that... it worked. 9.0c, FINNALY. Try it, if you've exhausted all other resources.

i started playing sims2 and everything works excpet i cannot build a house...or design it...none of the tools in my build section work....i can buy stuff though...does anyone know my problem?

first of all grettings fellows.

I found out a solution for that directX 9.0C problem!!!!

I tried every thing written on theses forum (Xept buying a new winXPsp2 laugh )and nothing worked.

I came up with this idea: if the windowed mode didn't work for me (you know the "-w" thing) maybe i could just bypass directX via openGL (er... actually i was a friend that started that but he's not here so ... 8) ). So i just written -openGL in the target of my game icon, and it WORKED (i'm on WoW but like the problem was the same it MIGHT help)!

now that i think of it you can also try -sound, or both.

that's what the it should be like:

Example: "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" -opengl

err ... with "the sims 2" insteed of WoW wink

ok i just got ts2 yesterday...i installed it perfectly and then the directx9.0c thingy came on i downloaded it on but says i dont have it...ummm do i need the video card? and where can i get it and how much is it?this is my info...

Name: ATI 3D rage pro(atir3)

Manufacturer:Ati Technologies

Chip Type:Mach 64:Rage Pro

DAC:internal

Memory:4.0MB

display:800x600

MOnitor:Compaq V75

MiniVDD:atir3.vxd

VDD: *VDD, *Vflatd

DDI: version 5

um my comp is old and my sister won it freom her teacher so idont know what the deal is...

stacyLOVESfernando

Your video card is VERY old. If the Sims 2 doesn't work with the -w switch then you'll need a newer graphics card. Unfortunately with a video card that old you'll probably have to buy a new PC.

Hmm, from all of these posts it's likely that the original Sims game was so popular due to the installed base of PC's being capable enough to run it. I wonder how well the Sims 2 will do over time compared to the Sims 1?

Originally posted by stacy06:

Quote:
ok i just got ts2 yesterday...i installed it perfectly and then the directx9.0c thingy came on i downloaded it on but says i dont have it...ummm do i need the video card? and where can i get it and how much is it?this is my info...

Name: ATI 3D rage pro(atir3)

Manufacturer:Ati Technologies

Chip Type:Mach 64:Rage Pro

DAC:internal

Memory:4.0MB

display:800x600

MOnitor:Compaq V75

MiniVDD:atir3.vxd

VDD: *VDD, *Vflatd

DDI: version 5

um my comp is old and my sister won it freom her teacher so idont know what the deal is...

stacyLOVESfernando