Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The Sims 2 Problem Solving Thread

This thread is for all Sims 2 related problems. Any separate Sims 2 thread will be closed ASAP with a link to this thread included.

If anyone has solutions to Sims 2 problems that work, then post them here and I'll try to include them in this post.

NTCompatible will not be held responsible for solutions that mess up your computer. If you want official support then talk to Maxis.

Okay well can u help me here? I have a question?? I have been trying to load sims 2 over and over again but it just won't work... a box that says "Unspecified Error" pops up... what do i do??

Sorry! I didn't realize that I had to poat here!:o

Hi there!

I just bought tS2, and I installed it just fine, no problems. When I go to play it, a message pops up and says (this is word for word):

Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

I checked all of my stuff, and I do have Direct X 9.0! I can't figure out why this is happening...

I was looking up Direct X 9.0 on Google, and I found another message board at http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread28739-1.html with a lot of people who have the same problem. I'm officially stumped. It seems I'm not the only one with this problem... Please Help Me!!

nobody2341

Originally posted by Shortstff1012:

Quote:
Okay well can u help me here? I have a question?? I have been trying to load sims 2 over and over again but it just won't work... a box that says "Unspecified Error" pops up... what do i do??

Could you describe exactly what you are doing? When does this box pop up?

Download EVEREST Home Edition, install and start it.

When it is started, in the left panel, select "Display", then "GPU".

In right you should see something like this "DirectX Hardware Support: DirectX v9.0".

Screenshot.

If not... consider upgrading your graphics card.

My problem is a little bit different from ones I have read on this forum, since most people have been able to get their game installed and their problem lies afterwards.

I got the Sims 2 Special DVD Edition, placed it in my computer, and nothing happened. There was no autoplay or any reorganization of the game disk at all. I went to Start > Run > D:\, and I got this message: "Windows cannot read this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." So I took the game back thinking the disk itself was faulty and I got a new one. Same thing. The disk isn't being recognized at all.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

i can run the sims 2 game but during game play it changes colors and wont change back! Can anyone HELP ME ?

Hey dosfreak, mind if I make a recommendation for your thread header here. Can you ask them to also post their system specifications. As you can see there are allready quite a few posts with TOO LITTLE information in order for us to help them properly.

Also for anyone else posting a problem please let us know what kind of computer you have, what type of video card, how much ram, what type of sound card (that means 'On Board sound' or a seperate sound card ..IE soundblaster audigy etc).

We cannot help if all you tell us is the game goes all funny what do I do??!!!!!

so if you have posted allready please provide the info I just asked for and you will have more chance that someone will help.

thanks

S

hello there everyone! ok i am so upset i could cry...ive tried to work sims 2 but it doesnt work cause of this DirectX 9.0c thing..i get that message saying:

Failed to find and DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

ya this happens when i try to play the game..so i dont kno if i need that "card" where do i get one..and how do i kno if i need a better one for this game??? im so not a computer geek at all...so if someone could explain in full step by step explaining something to help or about this "card" i dunno help me please please please! thank you

Originally posted by xnilx:

Quote:
My problem is a little bit different from ones I have read on this forum, since most people have been able to get their game installed and their problem lies afterwards.

I got the Sims 2 Special DVD Edition, placed it in my computer, and nothing happened. There was no autoplay or any reorganization of the game disk at all. I went to Start > Run > D:\, and I got this message: "Windows cannot read this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." So I took the game back thinking the disk itself was faulty and I got a new one. Same thing. The disk isn't being recognized at all.

Do other DVD's work in your DVD drive?

Originally posted by help_me9:

Quote:
hello there everyone! ok i am so upset i could cry...ive tried to work sims 2 but it doesnt work cause of this DirectX 9.0c thing..i get that message saying:

Failed to find and DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

ya this happens when i try to play the game..so i dont kno if i need that "card" where do i get one..and how do i kno if i need a better one for this game??? im so not a computer geek at all...so if someone could explain in full step by step explaining something to help or about this "card" i dunno help me please please please! thank you

Read Wilhelmus post above yours.

Originally posted by xnilx:

Quote:

maybe you need to get the cd rom version of the game

Originally posted by abisnocom10292:

Quote:
frown Will someone PLEASE tell me how to upgrade the graphics card thingie????????????? thank you to whoever tells me.....

What, your graphics card? What type is it? Do you want to buy the next version up or do you need the latest drivers?

okay then........this is what it says....

Device

Name: Intel Corporation 810 Graphics Controller Hub

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Intel810

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 4.0 MB

Current Display Mode: 800x600 (16 bit) (75Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Drivers: Main Driver: i81xdnt5.dll

Version: 5.11.0001.0133 (english)

Date: 6/19/2003

13:05:04

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Mini VDD: i81xnt5.sys

VDD:n/a

DDI version: 7

DirectX Features

Direct Draw Acceleration: Enabled

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Notes: No problems found.

To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.

To test Direct3D functionality, click the "Test Direct3D" button above.

um........I hope that helps... smile

I Recently got Sim2 Cd edition For Christmas And i Got Window xp . I DownLoad And To My PC And When Finshed Dowload And Put Cd 1 It said, Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate. And Then I Download Direct x 9.0c Million of Times But still nothing please help Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what should I Do ?

Quote:
Gabfine
Posted - 2005-01-03 21:52:49
I Recently got Sim2 Cd edition For Christmas And i Got Window xp . I DownLoad And To My PC And When Finshed Dowload And Put Cd 1 It said, Failed to find any Direct X 9.0c compatible grapics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate. And Then I Download Direct x 9.0c Million of Times But still nothing please help Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what should I Do ?

most of us are having that problem with the directx9.0c thingie but nothing seems to help.............sorry frown

Quote:
Waffler
Posted - 2005-01-03 19:54:53
What, your graphics card? What type is it? Do you want to buy the next version up or do you need the latest drivers?

i don't think i want to buy a new graphics card.....are they extremely expensive?

whoa..........can you read that? it look kinda scrunched...is scrunched even a word? or maybe i spelt it wrong......oh well...
[Edited by dosfreak on 2005-01-04 01:23:56]

Quote:
um...sorry..it's me again...but how do you put those blue lines around what other people wrote? smile

Hit the "Quote" button on the person's post.

Quote:
okay then........this is what it says....

Device

Name: Intel Corporation 810 Graphics Controller Hub

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Intel810

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 4.0 MB

DDI version: 7

If you had read the post above and went to the link then you would have your answer.....

You need a new video card. Your integrated video card does not meet the requirements for The Sims 2.

Anyone in a situation to use the -w switch on a graphics card that is not supported by the Sims 2?

or how about using 3danalyze Software T&L?

Would test these myself but am currently visiting my parents.

i don't play sims 2 but after seeing all these problems I wanted to see what the fuss is all about and did a few searches. here is what the german sims2 support site has to say about the directx 9 graphic problem....translated by me

first, please make sure that your graphic card is supported in sims 2 and that you are using the newest drivers for your graphic card

ATI Radeon Series (7000 or better)

- Radeon 7000/VE Series (no Hardware T&L, 2.0 GHz Processor needed)

- 7200, 7500

- 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500

- 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800

- X300, X600, X800

Nvidia Quadro Series

- Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

Nvidia GeForce Series (GeForce 2 or better)

- GeForce2

- GeForce3, 3 Ti

- GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440

- GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950

- GeForce 6600, 6800

Intel Extreme Graphics (no Hardware T&L, 2.0 GHz Processor needed)

- 82845, 82865, 82915

drivers:

ATI Graphic cards -> http://www.ati.com

Nvidia Graphic cards -> http://www.nvidia.com

Intel Graphic cards -> http://www.intel.com

if you are playing on a notebook you will find the actual drivers for your graphic card on the website from your notebook manufacturer

if you are using a refresh rate tool (e.g. Refreshlock) please

deactivate it before starting sims 2!!

and here is what they have to say about the dvd emulation problems:

check the following:

1. the cd/dvd is in your cd/dvd player ; )

2. make sure that you have no virtual "drive" software installed

(e.g. Daemon-Tools, Clone CD or Alcohol 120%)

when you have done that and you still have problems then:

turn of the DMA mode on your cd/dvd player.

to do that do the following:

Win 9x/ME:

1. right mouse click on My Computer and click properties

2. change to the tab "Device Manager"

3. open the device manager and navigate to your DVD/CD-ROM

and click on the "+"

4. right mouse click on your DVD/CD-ROM and choose properties

5. check if you have DMA Transfer Mode (or something like that)

checked and if so uncheck it!

6. click ok and then start the pc new

Windows XP:

1. click on "Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware ->

Device Manager"

2. open the Device Manager and navigate to the entry "ide Controller"

3. right mouse click on the channel on which your DVD/CD-Rom (Primary or Secondary depending on which controller

your CD/DVD-ROM is) and choose properties.

4. Check if your CD/DVD-ROM is running in DMA or PIO mode and change if needed to PIO

5. confirm with ok and restart

--------------------------------------------------------------

personally i would not be willing to change to pio mode. i personally would try setting up a new hardware profile which

i could boot when i want to play the game rather than switching

to pio mode.....phoooey!

--------------------------------------------------------------

you should also install the follwing patches to fix this problem:

For Windows 98 and Me - Install the newest version of DCOM http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/download.asp

For Windows XP - Install the Safedisc Patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=35831

For Windows 2000 - Install the Safedisc Patch: http://www.macrovision.com/products/safedisc/downloads.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------

now i would personally try installing the patches before turning off dma mode but hey...this is only the translation.

----------------------------------------------------------------

close all background programs or services except the following:

Windows 98/ME Required Processes

---------------------------------

Explorer

Systray

Windows XP / 2000 Required Processes

---------------------------------

system

smss.exe

csrss.exe

winlogon.exe

services.exe

lsass.exe

svchost.exe (when open more than once then leave it!)

Explorer

spoolsv.exe

press CTL + ALT + DEL and you can close the open processes in Task Manager

now when you have done all of this and it still does not work and you DO have the cd emulation programs installed like Daemon-Tools

they recommend de-installing said programs.

----------------------------------------------------------

seems like a lotta trouble to go through to play a game...

i hope this helps and please excuse any mistakes in the translation ..i don't have an english version of windows ..only english linux ; )

A friend of mine asked me to help him with this "DirectX9 Sims2 problem". I told him that his graphics card was too old. So he bought a new one (Geforce 5200). I installed the card and the drivers for him. Checked the DirectX version. Still didn't work.

So I tried a few of the solutions posted here. Still didn't work. And then suddenly I just found the easiest fix. (I knew something was wrong when I ran 'dxdiag' and the Display tab showed no Direct3D support.) In the display properties dialog (you can find it in the control panel) there is a section called Troubleshooting. (Or Performance in Win98, I think.) This is under the Advanced settings. You get there by:

-Opening the Control panel

-Double-click Display

-Go to Settings

-Click Advanced

Now you should see the Troubleshooting tab (or Performance tab on Win98). On this tab there is a slider. Make sure it is set to maximum.

Click OK until you're back to the desktop. You might need to reboot your computer.

Launch Sims2 and have fun.

I hope this helps a few of you out there.