Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tessx

(XP/2k/2k/linux) network with shared printer on 2kPro access difficulties

Hello, I have a network of four computers connected to a router, one running linux, one running XP and two running 2000 Pro. On one of the 2k boxes is a lexmarkX83 connected, which works perfectly locally. Except for the linux box, the other computers can print IF I first login by typing \\PrintPC and entering admin identification. If I use guest mode, I can access the printer, but when start printing, it sends about 4bytes of data to the computer and stays in the queue (and after that cannot remove the job, have to restart the PrintPC). So I thought of two solutions to this, but I don't know how to apply them:

-Store somehow the admin ID on each computer so when starting up they connect automatically

-Create a password-free guest account on PinterPC, which would allow an automatic connection without password storage (and wouldn't require to enter anything)

I've tried both but never managed to get it working. Either after a reboot it would say on the "client" boxes that they couldn't establish a connection, or connection refused (if at least it would ask for a password), or it wouldn't print at all with guest account.

If anyone has an idea how to solve this, it would be great help (been on this now for more then 12hours)

Thanks a lot,

tessx

Hum Maybe I can simplify the question:

How can I create on my PrinterPC a "workgroup user" ?

When changing settings in the security tab of my printer, i can only choose in the "look in/search in" field my local computer. besides, when I add a "guest" account, it adds PinterPC\guest maybe that's why a remote guest cannot connect ? Would I need some sort of WORKGROUP\guest ?