Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
namoo

"\windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt

A few days ago my pc was working fine, but now when I go to boot up it tells me that "\windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. The black screen tells you to reboot from the original CD select "r" for repair. Selecting "r" takes you to a Dos prompt and I don't know what to do at this point.

I do have the original cd.

Please help!!!!

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN!!! laugh

The first time you see the option to "Repair" XP, it's through the "Recovery Console", which is an advanced "command line" function. Skip that, continue to install XP as you normally would with a fresh install, you will get the "Repair" option again, this is the time to choose "Repair".

It will install XP over top of itself, re-writing all the XP/Windoze files, but leave your games/files/programs intact.

It takes as long as a regular install of XP, but you don't lose all your programs/files/etal.

Your choice, format, start fresh, or repair.

If you receive the "system" is missing or corrupt message just boot into the Recovery Console or BartPE and copy "system" from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config

IIRC, a more updated version is in your "System Volume Information" Folder but you probably won't be able to get into it from the recovery console.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
If you receive the "system" is missing or corrupt message just boot into the Recovery Console or BartPE and copy "system" from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config

IIRC, a more updated version is in your "System Volume Information" Folder but you probably won't be able to get into it from the recovery console.

If he has no idea how to run the "Repair" option, there is absolutely no point in telling him to run the recovery console, like he'd know command line instructions.

This is a case of repair, as in the second time around, "re-install" XP. Nothing lost, everything gained. smile

This could be due to a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:

1.) Failing Hard Drive or Partition or File System

2.) Untreated Virus activity

3.) Corrupted registry (see 1 and 2 above).

4.) Loose IDE (or SCSI) cable(s).

You CAN try to do a repair, which is really as painful as a format in XP because a repair essentially means re-installing windows. In windows 2000 it was not the case, but oh well.

BEWARE: Repairing windows, although might fix your issue, will potentially over-write updated files and render any service packs you have installed void. That being said, perhaps you should consider a full-fledged boring painful format? (at least this way you start with a CLEAN slate rather than a patched-up system).

Another option is to try to "recover" your files by using either a data recovery tool, or by messing with Hiren's Boot CD to see if you can somehow "repair" the registry.

Good Luck.

PS: You might also want to consider switching back to Windows 2000. Although Windows 2000 is older, it still shares the same basic core as Windows XP, AND repairing it does NOT necessarily mean re-installing windows as in the case of XP. Plus you would NOT have to deal with the hassle of activation laughsmile

Sadly, I have seen this problem waaaaaay too many times!!!!!! Specially in the old NT machines we have had at work. It basically means that your "system" hive of the registry is corrupt or gone. Unless you have a copy of it somewhere, then your system is pretty much toast. But there are some things that you CAN try.

In the old NT systems, a lot of times Partition Magic was able to fix it. Reason being, the old NT could only handle a 7 GIG boot partition. When drives started getting larger, some clowns at my job would just use Norton Ghost to image over to the new drive WITHOUT manually setting partition size. What happened then, was that during installs or updates, certain files (including the hives) would get bumped out of the "magic" partition circle and thus crash. Using PM and resizing the partition to 7 GIG would sometime get everything back in order.

If that did not work, then using Winternals newest version of ERD Commander would also sometime fix this. Upon bootup, if it detected a corrupt registry that it could repair, it would pop up a message saying just that, and you were back in bussiness.

Another option that I once found in the net somewhere, was to move or copy the "system" hive file to another location, then copy it back. Doing this sometimes would rewrite it and get it back together again. But, you would need NTFSDOS to do this.

Hope this helps? Unless Alex might have written some proggy that would also help??? smile

Now on to post MY problem with the START menu, UGH!!!!!!! frown

Originally posted by computertech1821:

Quote:
whats up everyone i had the same proble and i know how to fix this problem

is currupted \windows\system32\config

OK Ok we get it. You're smart and you know how to fix it. Care to SHARE how you fixed it rather than just say you know how to fix it?

If you have the solution, it is far easier to post it here then to have people instant message you. Especially since you are not on here 24/7 when someone may need the solution. Also as far as I know there is no instant message available in this forum.

P.S. Please single post your responses

Originally posted by dosfreak 2005-11-13 18:26:53:

Quote:

If your system is overclocked, this can also cause the problem, go back to stock-clocks. If your RAM is getting wonky, this can also cause the problem.

I've OC'ed my system and not payed attention to my RAM multiplier, kept getting a no-go on the OC, same error message, finally realized I was trying to run my RAM at somewhere around 300mhz, heh. laugh

Lowered the multiplier so that by the time I was @2.75 on my A64 3700+, my RAM was @196mhz, and TADA!, the error went away.

This is XP's answer to the BSOD, when it can't figure out what's wrong, hey, your files are corrupt. wink

ok i got this problem too,for some reason i have two choices for OS,WINDOWS XP PRO AND WINDOWS xp PRO SETUP, IF I ENTER JUST WINDOWS XP pro i get the, system32\config\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt error, if i enter the setup selection, i cant do anything but quit?

i got windows XP CD but i dont think it is the original, so when i enter windows xp setup it says something like, cannot find where windows is installing from, and all i can do is press F3 TO QUIT??? please help me, i have over 4 thousand songs on that hard drive plus my own music i have made for my university corse, i really cannot afford to lose it, would appreciate any help.

In which case buy or get hold of another Hard Disk, remove your original HD and install the new HD. Install XP on the new HD, then you will be able to access your files when you add your original drive back in.

Alternatively, get hold of Knoppix, boot off Knoppix CD then you can backup your files from the HD to CD or DVD to your Cd/DVD-RW drive. Then you can reinstall Windows from scratch again.

See http://www.knoppix.com/

I have seen over 30 people in the past 3 days that have had this problem. Their entire system32/config folder is missing and they can't log into their profiles via the XP recovery console to attempt to fix it.

We have no idea what is causing this, but we have developed a backup batch file that will backup your config folder so *if* you ever get hit (or hit again) with this problem, you can easily have a full recovery.

Read the tutorial that explains how to use the backup utilityand how to restore your backup in the event of a crash. Good luck!