Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
louissan

SCSI RAID

Hi there,

I plan to purchase an adaptec RAID controller, the cheap one: AAA 131U2.

But I heard RAID was not quite supported by W2k, especially SCSI RAID.

So, I am to use W2k server or W2k workstation-equivalent ? If I choose the first solution, will AGP and other multimedia stuff still be supported ?

Cheers

Check the HCL. Alternately check www.adaptec.com if they have a driver download for the controller.

Keep in mind though that many OEMs are waiting for Win2k to be officially released before they release their own drivers.

Pretty much all Adaptec SCSI controllers are supported natively by W2K.

Most RAID controllers normally present themselves as an exisiting controller - thereby insulating the OS from the fact that it's a RAID card - Adaptec included.

Check the web-site and if nesseccary send them an e-mail - they are VERY responsive to such questions (unlike Creative or Matrox).

W2K in all versions will support all devices - the binaries are the same in all versions. The differences are achieved by registry settings...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

I use a DPT RAID controller (the Decade), check out www.dpt.com. They were recently aquired by adaptec. DPT claims their controllers do more in hardware than Adaptec's. I don't know to what degree that is true, i went with DPT because the controller was more expandable and had far better support on various OSes (NT, win2k, win9x, Linux, FreeBSD). I run a dual disk raid 0 volume and am very happy with the performance. I got the RAID array to improve the performance of the machine in typical disk intensive sofwtware development tasks (compiles, running app-servers, rdbms'es, etc).

The current DPT controllers are i2o devices, they work fine with win2k with an i2o driver provided by DPT. I've been running it with all versions from beta3 through to final.

While you're shopping around, also check out Mylex at http://www.mylex.com. I used to pretty much default to Adaptec for all my SCSI hardware but a few suboptimal experiences made me look into the alternatives. The Adaptec controller may be the right choice for you but you it's worth looking into the other options.

-pvg

[This message has been edited by pvg (edited 14 February 2000).]