Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jazzdrive

Windows Server 2003 user rights.

I'm getting a little confused with some of this Active Directory stuff.

For instance, even though my username has been placed in the Administrators group, I can't access folders that have allowed the Administrators group full access.

And also, how do I give someone local administrator rights to their machine only? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by jazzdrive:

Quote:
I'm getting a little confused with some of this Active Directory stuff.

For instance, even though my username has been placed in the Administrators group, I can't access folders that have allowed the Administrators group full access.

Try to create a hidden share, if you have admin rights you should be able to access anything. Lets say the server name is "water" do the following:

\\water\c$

"c" you can change to whatever drive letter the folders are you are looking for.

Quote:
And also, how do I give someone local administrator rights to their machine only? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Open "Computer Management" on the local PC, go to "Local Users And Groups", go to "Groups", on the right double click "Administrators", Click the "add" button, type the local PC's Computer name then \ followed by the username that he uses to log onto the PC/Network, ie: Local computername is "avatar" and the user is "wicked":

then click ok and close everything, then that user will have local admin rights on his PC

Cool thanks. This worked.

Could you explain exaclty what I'm doing when I put the '$" after the drive name?

On the server, I cannot manage another computer. The network path is not found. Can this only be done while physically logged on to the machine?

I noticed that the group Domain Admins is automatically added to the Local Admin account, and my user is a part of that group, yet it still didn't recognize it. I had to explicitly add the user. Any ideas?

Originally posted by jazzdrive:

Quote:
Could you explain exaclty what I'm doing when I put the '$" after the drive name?

The $ is used in a hidden share, so if anyone has a hidden share it can only be accessed by using the $ sign, the share is there but wont be visible from the network. On servers the hard drives work in a similar way, but its called an Administrative share and only if you have admin right you can access it that way, on servers and on anyones PC from anywhere on the network.

Quote:
On the server, I cannot manage another computer. The network path is not found. Can this only be done while physically logged on to the machine?

I noticed that the group Domain Admins is automatically added to the Local Admin account, and my user is a part of that group, yet it still didn't recognize it. I had to explicitly add the user. Any ideas?

With admin rights you can manage any computer/server from any computer/server, as long as you are logged on with an administrative account. You can edit someones registry, computer management and so on. You can also use remote desktop to connect to the server from any PC or from the server to any PC with XP. You also get software to do that like "Remote Admin", "Dameware" etc. Otherwise, if you want you can ask the user to send you a remote help request from the "help and support" if you both are running XP.

What could be causing the "no network path" error when trying to access a computer's "computer management" from the server? I'm logged in as an administrator.

in Windows 2003, when sharing folders, Everyone is given just Read access. (In Windows NT/2000 Everyone is given Full Control by default).

To access shares what you need to do is set NTFS permissions for groups of users and give Full control for the Share. Shares always work on the most 'restrictive' permissions.