Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
overworked

Another %$&^ Browser Helper Object! - Elite Toolbar -

Well folks, there's another nasty BHO out there that's a pain to get rid of....this one is Elite Toolbar. I've tried the usual suite of Ad Aware and BHO Cop to remove the little #$@%^%$ but it restores itself and registry setting upon every reboot. It populates the HKCU/Software/Microsoft/IE/Main/search key with it's URL and all that stuff. I've tried to set the file permissions on it's favorite directory so that it can't write there. I'll let you know how the battle progresses when I get back to it tomorrow....

-Overworked-

I hav been having the same problem with Elite Toolbar with clients of mine. The only solution that I have hda is the following. Firsly look for bot[1].exe in your tempory interent folders and delete all forms of it. The bot changes it name by changing its digit by one each time. Under the regisrty look for all refernece to Elite tool bar and deleted them. Under the \winnt\system32 or \winnt look for the file name doolsav.dat and delete it. Under the registry look for the following files. Normally located HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION ..\run \Runonce \ Runex

1.) scvhost.exe

2.) slserv.exe

3.) kalvssp32.exe

4.) gx9fzj89m9.exe

Look also for the folders elite toolbar and delete and the folder nsdb.

And pshyically delete all your tempepory interent files using explorer.

Remeber to do this in safe mode. If you have symantec or norton download your lastest defintion and do a scan for adware. You be shock how much @@#$ crap this toolbar dumped on your machine.,

Please note

Do this in SAfe Mode

the Monk aka Davante

After you clean the system, install SpyBot, update it, and immunize. That will prevent a lot of crap from wedging itself back into IE. SP2 also lets you manage your IE plugins/extensions, so this should help too.

I would suggest dumping IE for another browser like Mozilla Firefox. You'll be glad you switched!