Compatible Support Forums
DaFrawg

PS/2 Keyboard doesn't work in Windows XP anymore

oks I checked out the manual. unfortunately i didnt really get from that what I could do. there was a little section on keyboards besides that it was talking abotu the rest of the motherboard. sorry man. i'm still stuck frown

hiiii guys!

some new developments since i last posted. i ran some tests:

ive bought two brand new keyboards. one was a ps/2 and more recently i bought a usb one just to test that too. doesnt work. now i did goto device manager and noticed a conflict with the keyboard. the first time i must've uninstalled it but it somehow got installed again. i think i did this a few times and at one point i just erased it. now after this (maybe as a direct result, maybe not) i was able to go into windows with my keyboard physically connected and my mouse would still work. earlier on if the keyboard was even connected the mouse wouldnt wokr. now if they keyboard is connected its not a problem. the keyboard itself wouldnt work bnut the mouse was just fine. HOWever, as soon as i touch any key on the keyboard the mouse would stop working. the computer itself doesnt freeze, the screen saver still comes on and if i put a cd in it'll respond. but these two devices seem to freeze.

now with the usb keyboard, again i know it works because i can go into the bios by pressing delete when i boot up, and can press f7 (or is it f8) to go into safe mode. however once im in windows it wont work. the difference here is pressing a key on this wont freeze the mouse. but the keyboard wont work. if im in windows with the usb keyboard and normal mouse and i disconnect the usb keyboard and then plug in the ps2 keyboard the mouse will instantly freeze (even without touching a button on the ps/2 KB).

it doesnt work in safe mode either.

so....any ideas? would really appreciate it smile

thanks

dan

Just wanna say thank you for all the help people have thrown out. I was having the same problem with my ps/2 keyboard after installing Sp1 for windows xp, until i grabbed belarc advisor, uninstalled the drivers, then ran a new hardware check. Very interesting problem, considering it seems that everyone who had the problem (me included), had a working keyboard right up until windows xp started. Did anyone else have this problem right after installing sp1?

I am having same problem. Now when i boot my computer, (running XP Pro SP2) the keyboard works in the BIOS and when i choose which O/S i wish to boot. When xp loads i have to log in, now the mouse works fine i go to my loggin and click it so i can entre the password, how ever as soon as i press a key on the keyboard, it freezes, and takes the mouse with it. The mouse stops working. Now because of the fact i need a password to log on, i cant even get into windows with just the mouse, so i am unable to access the device manager. ;( Ive searched the BIOS but cant find anything to do with keyboard.

Im stuck, someone please help me,

thank you in advance smile

mld

My neighbour is having the same problem. Keyboard works fine in BIOS and if we boot with WinPE XP (a self booting CD). But if boot to WinXP (in regular or safe mode), the mouse will work, but the keyboard doesn't. As soon as touch keyboard the mouse locks.

1. Saw conflict in hardware manager, switched to a USB mouse - same problem, except the mouse no longer locks

2. Switched to a USB keyboard - same problem.

3. Removed and reinstalled keyboard in hardware manager - same problem.

Installed the drivers that came with the new USB keyboard - didn't help.

I'm thinking this is a registry problem since works fine everywhere but in WinXP. But I don't know where to start on that. I think may have to reinstall the OS, but I think I read (not sure if this forum or another) where that didn't help either.

Hopefully someone has an answer!

i have a e machine that is a 2005 model.im having the same problem.when it gets out of the shop i will post what was wrong with it. no keyboard and no mouse when you try to use the keyboard..and the guy online wanted me to hit f8.WHAT DID he not understand about NO KEYBOARD oh there was no board in the control panel or in the device maniger. its in the shop !!!

ps yes i tried a new keyboard !!! restore and recover !!

tm_oneil@yahoo.com hav a nic day

If you guys are still having problems I have a solution that worked for me. If your mouse is not connected to a usb port and is connected to the mouse port this will help. Start up Windows. Uninstall the keyboard by using the device manager to uninstall it for you. This will cause Windows to recognize the keyboard and the mouse. Shut down your computer. Remove the mouse from the mouse port and plug it into a usb port. Start up Windows again. Everything should work.

I see that some of you joined the forums just because of this problem. I did too!

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, different keyboard, original drivers ... everything short of formatting the drive.

Nothing has worked! This problems seems so deep that I fear that even a fresh format will not solve the problem as hinted by skram.

Vamatt99218, I tried what you mentioned in order but that didn't help either.

If someone has a solution, PLEASE share!!!

I have too much stuff to back-up and my XP CD is also missing ... just in time!!!

AAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I have a similar problem. I'm running Windows XP Media Center, and my keyboard out of nowhere stopped working. Windows won't recognize my keyboard at all; I can't even get into the bios before the desktop loads. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but when I go to reinstall the driver, the hardware installer says that it can't find any drivers for my keyboard, even when I have my XP CD in the drive. Windows won't recognize any of the PS/2 keyboards I use with it.

This solution worked for the guy who suggested it and it worked for me. Having the exact same problem described here with error code 41 and working keyboard (usb and ps2) up until windows loads drivers. I didn't even delete the Upper Filters entry, just the mention of lxsassc.exe.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/447524-keyboard-error-code-41-a-2.html

Very last posting listed as solved.

(Quoted Text)

"I solved my problem by removing an item from the UpperFilters for the keyboard in the registry. It's under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

There was an entry for keykey which was leftover from spyware removal action."