Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anzavic

Deleting GRUB & Format HD

After spenting almost two months trying to figure out MD Linux 10.1 to load, in the end still nothing works. I get one error message after another and now it's the partitions, the screen, the video card, the hard drive. I didn't go into this without checking the software out first and then the system it was going to go on.

Now, I'm trying to go back to WinME and have run into another problem. It appears that GRUB is on my hard drive and has taken up a lot of room. So much so that WinME won't load. I've tried to go to my C: drive and FORMAT or use FDisk, I get "Invalid Media type reading drive C...

So how do I get Grub off my system so I can move on?

What a mess!

Ok, i'm thinking grub is not your problem. grub is installed in the mbr. it is tiny. you havn't delted your linux yet

what you can do is this

fdisk /dev/hda(supposing you have ide drive and it is your first one).

then type

d and delete all the partitions

restart with windows cd in

install..and grub will disappear.

Daum

...and just to clarify what matttah is getting at, it is not that Grub has taken up the space, it is that Windows can not read a partition that has been formatted with Linux partitions.

So, Windows thinks that there is no space on the hard drive (at least that it can read). Any disk formatting utility can erase the partitions that you made with Mandrake, be it PartitionMagic, any linux install with the fdisk utility, a Win 98 or ME boot disk (windows version of fdisk), or disk partitioning a utility made by the hard drive company that made the drive.

No problem. I sometimes forget that not all the questions posed on this site are from hardcore users like us. They keep reminding me though!