Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman78

"RECYCLER" Folder created on new partition. Why?

I deleted a 200gb partition and re-created & formatted it. It then had a "RECYCLER" folder on it. This is not my primary drive in the system, so I checked the other drives and partitions in the system and they do not have the folder. The folder was not on the drive before, and I am the one who partitioned it when it was brand new. I checked my laptop's drives, and they don't have the "RECYCLER" folder either. All the drives are NTFS (laptop is also). I also created a 80gb partition on an external drive yesterday on the same system, and it also doesn't have the folder.

Why would that folder show up all of a sudden, and why don't any of my other drives have it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I forgot about unchecking "Hide Protected Operating System Files" on my other drives and laptop(when looking for the folder). I did that and I see it, but on the drive in question, it act's like it's not considered an "operating system file". I'm so used to opening a new drive and NOT seeing anything, except this time I saw "RECYCLER". Wonder why that's different? For all my other systems (and drives on the same system) I have to uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" to see the folder. But not this drive.

Ok, I fixed the "problem".

I knew something didn't look right. Whenever I create a new partition or format, I'm used to exploring the drive and seeing nothing, and at most maybe a "cloudy" folder (hidden). But this RECYCLER folder was as yellow/gold(non hidden) as it gets. It wasn't a hidden file and it wasn't a system file. I believe it was the real recycler folder, the attributes were just funky. It had something to do with Norton Protected Recycle Bin(Norton Antivirus 2005). I disabled that feature on all the drives, booted in safe mode, did a quick format on the drive, rebooted, and now the RECYCLER folder is a hidden/system folder. So you can't see it with "Show hidden Files" enabled, but if you uncheck "Hide Protected System Files" you can see it. Thank you for your help.

hello all:

Very informative posts, I have a question regarding the recycled and recyler folders and NAV 2005 you are taking about.

I just bought an new system with win xp pro, I also purschased a USB drive kit, which allowed me to take the previous computer's HD. Now, once I hooked my old drive into my new system, I deleted the old windows xp home that resided on it, I deleted all and anything to do with programs and OS. I only kept data that I really needed from the old system. I converted the old drive to NTFS from FAT32 anf off I went everything seemed OK.

I just Installed NAV 2005 and tried to run a full system scan. NAV 2005 kept aborting and giving me the following error;

"Error: "Norton AntiVirus was unable to scan your computer for infections." (3019,6), it gave me a link to a buletin on how to fix it . . . It didn't work.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004032615461906

While watching NAV going to it's process, I noticed that it crashed when it was scanning a folder named recycler on my old drive. I got to thinking that I didn't have a folder named recycler or one named recycled, I could not see them, even with the show system folder on, so i got to a cmd prompt and just did a simple cd recycler on the old drive and there it was. I have a recycled and recycler folder and I believe that the two folders are keeping NAV from doing a full system scan.

Does anyone know what I should do, short of reformatting my old drive

I know this is long post, I really appreciate the help

Thanks T