Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wiz

missing RAM's; Please help !

I have been using WINdows 98 since a year. I dunno when, but i have recently realised that 2 Mb RAM has vanished from my total memory which was 256MB RAM. i am sad that my system is not able to satisfy the min. system requirements for some games and softwares.

Using the EA system info , i found out that -

Total Memory: 254 Mb

Free memory: 2 mb

what is this free memory? has it gotta do anything with the vanishing 2 mb RAMs.Please help me to gain back those 2mb RAMs. :Pfrown

hi wiz,

The problem which u described is not a problem. all ram manufacturers round up the capacity of hardware. a 128 mb ram will always show 127, 64 - 63 and so on. so u see there is nothing to worry about.

Really!?? but i still have this doubt in my mind dummy777 pal.

well does this mean a game or software say , in its min. system reqirements specifies a minimum of 256 MB RAm to run .so can i with 254 MB Ram run it on my system smoothly??

please answer my question 'cause i am bit woried.

p.S: well actually my cousin has brought me the game sims2 ,

and will present it to me next week. so i am worried that it won't work as its min. system requirements suggest atleast 256MB is required. 'the min.sys.checker of sims2' said that i could not run this game cause my ram's only 254 mb.

If Sims 2 does a check to see if there is enough RAM and it absolutely needs 256 on the dot then it might not start the game, but if it doesn't the the game should work fine, because 2MB will not make a difference on any system, unless youve got an old 286 or something.

What is the rest of the specs of your PC, its not just RAM that it wants as minimum specs

well .. actually i just ran the 'sims 2 System requirements CHECKER' . I am yet to buy the game. i downloaded this from the net . it actually puts a tick mark next to the available items.

MEMORY: 254( wrong mark - 256 MB required)

GRAPHIC CARD(t & L):tick

CPU:tick( i actually have well almost he double mhz and P4)

HARD DRIVE: tick

only the ram part.will it still run without problems??

It should run, 2 mb is not a big difference at all, but if I can recommend something, get extra 256MB RAM, I believe that any P4 should not have less than 512MB to run properly, but that is up you.

wicked 101 , i have an old pc with 128 MB ram. i am not using that pc anyway. is it possible to add that 128 MB ram to my system??

If the old PC is not P4 it will not be possible, look at the RAM, Your new P4's (DDR)RAM will have 184 pins where the old (SD)RAM will have 168 pins. Give me your email, I'll mail you photos of the 2 different type of RAM, cause I cant add it here

mmm... my old pc as celeron! anyway -nitin_c_c@rediff.com

I tried to mail you, but it says that the email addy dont exist.

Anyway, your old RAM wont work in your new PC.

wink anyway thanks a lot !! can u help me out with the sims expansion pack problem? it is put on the forum -9x problems-list.

Wiz, the Sims 2 will run on you computer. I had it running on my cousins computer while I was waiting for my new system to get finished. it only had 128 mbs of RAM. The game ran horribly slow and incredibly glitchy...but it ran. I also had it running on my new system that had 256 RAM installed. The game ran just fine.