Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rac

help!!!

im new in linux and i downloaded redhat 9 but i don't know how to install it and what to do first..

all right so you got the isos heres what your going to need to do is burn them

its not going to be a data burn your going to need to burn image to disk/burn iso

so heres good programs

roxio any version (for roxio file burn image to disk, i beleive,)

nero

deepburner note can get for free as beta and thatll do the trick

burn at no faster the 12X stick to prefably 4/8x

once burned pop the cds into tray and youll have the anaconda installer choose manual partitioning and choose the options that sounds like it wont kick off your windows partition then choose your packages and install then reboot i could go more into depth but one question at a time

some things to solve and note any problems before they occur

hardware redhat 9.0 uses an older kernel and may not support your hardware if its newer

so things like mobo

processor

network card

modem

video card

and if this is a store bought prebuilt pc list the make and model and we can grab the parts list

i already burn them but i don't see any installer, and the autorun does't work

Few questions to answer a question

1: all right how did you burn them, and what speed

2: check bios usually press f1, esc, del to get into bios and change the boot order cd should be first in the list

i really cant give much advice unless i know the following things speed is a big thing as well did you burn the cd image?

Pop the cd you burned into the primary cd/dvd drive and see if it boots up. If not you will need to change the boot order in the bios as Soul has suggested. If this also fails you will need to burn the iso as a bootable image. Let us know the application you are using to burn the cd and we can try to help you get it right. More info = more better help. smile

...amd make sure that you burned the image, not the file itself as a data file.

If changing the bios to boot from cdrom first does not work;

Look at the cd in another distro or windows and see if you see just the iso as a single file, or a list of directories and files. The iso files need to be burned as image. If you just see a single iso file, from Nero, go to file-->burn image. Choose the location of the iso and burn them at 4X speed.

can you tell me how to install it i am using windows xp, but i don't know what to do and where to go to install it..

A tutorial on how to install RedHat is available on the RedHat site here.

Before you proceed, perhaps you can answer some of the questions that were asked about your system and the iso that you burned. This will assure that this version is right for you and the hardware that you have, as well as the cdrom disks being burned correctly.

ReHat 9 is fine, but an older version. Is there a reason why you chose RedHat 9 and not Fedora, which supports newer hardware?

So, what hardware are you running? Or, what model/make of computer do you have?

Did you get the iso images burned OK, as mentioned above?

The installer runs on boot and the system's bios needs to be set to boot from cdrom first to get the installer going, just like Windows XP.

How large of a hard drive do you have, so that space can be made on it to install a Linux distro? RedHat will need some hard drive space to install to. Again the link that I gave will some some basic information on this.

Answers to the questions posed will help us guide you to a more easily accomplished install.

pentium III, 997 MHz, 256mb,

15 gb drive space

yes, i burned them correctly

After re-reading your posts, we really need to know what exactly you have done. What are iso iso file names that you downloaded?

You should have three;

shrike-i386-disc1.iso

shrike-i386-disc2.iso

shrike-i386-disc3.iso

Are these the exact names that you have downloaded and burned?

If not, what are the names of the iso files? If they are;

shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso

shrike-SRPMS-disc2.iso

shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso

You got the wrong ones.

If you got the right ones and burned them as images on a cdr disks at a slow speed in Nero (like 4X 0r 8X), have the bios set to boot from cd first, what happens when you try to boot the system from the 1st install cd?

You have limited hard drive space, so will you be keeping Windows XP on the system and installing RedHat as a second OS, or just have RedHat on this system?

Just a note, if XP is on this system, make sure that you defrag your XP partition befoe attempting an install. RedHat will use any existing free space on the XP partition to set up a parttition to install.

If you dn't have XP on this system and will dedicate the full hard drive to the install, you don't have to worry about this, of course.

done i already install redhat. but my winxp is removed and if i want to uninstall redhat how can i do that?

are you sure windows is gone? did you completely remove it? It may just not be bootable from lilo. Anyway see my post here. If you fdisk the mbr you should be able to boot windows again then clean up the linux partition and reclaim that space.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread29554-1.html

if you did blow away windows first try to just reinstall windows form the CD. However you may need to boot a linux disk and run fdisk to to reformat teh ext3 partitions as NTFS. I can step you through the process if you need help. good luck.

i can't install winxp because i don't have enough space that's why i want to remove redhat

hi, is there any other tutorials for win98? i have win xp but i always install win98 before xp

Originally posted by rac:

Quote:
hi, is there any other tutorials for win98? i have win xp but i always install win98 before xp

ahh. you have an upgrade disk. I'd check that MS site I'd imagine the process is pretty much the same.

Quote:
is this a good idea if i use killdisk(http://www.killdisk.com/) to erase all files on my comp?

this is a lowlevel format utility. I usually only use these when I'm trashing a drive becasue I'm paranoid and I've seen people pull data off of "formated" disk drives" once you do this you will still need to prepare the drive using format and fdisk form your win9x floppy.

are you sure windows is gone? did you completely remove it? It may just not be bootable from lilo. Anyway see my post here. If you fdisk the mbr you should be able to boot windows again then clean up the linux partition and reclaim that space.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread29554-1.html

if you did blow away windows first try to just reinstall windows form the CD. However you may need to boot a linux disk and run fdisk to to reformat teh ext3 partitions as NTFS. I can step you through the process if you need help. good luck.

--

i try to fdisk the mbr but when i install the windows it says not enough disk space.. so i have to remove linux first before i install windows

i already delete linux and install windows again, thanks for the help!!

Quote:
i already delete linux and install windows again, thanks for the help!!

Go get your 500mb of patches. Just playing. smile