Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmcoggle

Password will expire in 14 days - can I set it to say 3 days?

My NT server has a policy which requires the users to reset their passwords every month. It reminds them of that when there is 14 days to go until their passowrd expires and that annoys them! Is is possible to alter that setting (I guess it is in the registry somewhere) so that the reminder pops up at say 3 days to go?

Hope you can help

thanks

PMC

Go into the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) on the local machine, then "Local Security Policy>>windows settings>>security settings>>local policies>>security options" the attribute you want is "Interactive Logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration" and change the value to 3 days. That is what mine is set at.

That works fine, I can find that setting in the gpedit utility, however for reasons best left unsaid I need to make the change in the registry ...? I can find the key ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit\Reg Values\Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/PasswordExpiryWarning

had a go altering these settings but to no avail, it looks like the numerical value that relates to the number of days is somewhere else?

Any clues on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks

Phil

If you have a test server, you could change that setting, and use RegMon from Sysinternals to capture what registry key is being modified.

Open regedit, then goto the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subkey, then:

"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

Create a new DWORD value called "passwordexpirywarning" (case sensitive) and then enter a *decimal* value for the number of days.