Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Beavis

Can't download from the net.

Here is a strange thing that has been stumping me for the last 12 hours.

I can log onto my wifes machine and access the internet through her internet connection sharing. I can check my e-mail and surf all day long. No problem. When I try to download a file from the net it just sits there and then I get a message:

"Internet explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

When I sit at my wifes computer (which is running Win98 SE) I can download anything I want. So I know the site is up and running.

Last week I could download without any problems but then I went to a LAN party this weekend and I had to change my IP address to something different. When I got home I changed it back to the default and now I wonn't download anything. Strange isn't it?

Here is another kicker. When I log in as the "administrator" I can download files without any problems.

Any ideas as to what could have went wrong? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

System:

AMD K6-2 450

128 MB RAM

13 GB Hard drive

Voodoo3 2000 video card

Sound blaster live

Windows 2000 v2195

I had a similar problem.... I logged on as admin and deleted the user, then re-added him and it fixed my problem. There is probably a permission setting somewhere but I didn't feel like looking for it at the time.

let me know what u find out

If I delete the account and then add it again, will I lose the personal settings for the old account? (the desktop, program menu, internet explorer favorites)